sprockets Hans Donuts 3D Printing USS Midnight 1950s Street Car Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

How do I get from one to the other?

The right one is my first model and I would like it to look like the left one in it's details. I have never done anything like this, so any advice is really appreciated.

Correct me if I am going in the wrong direction. Would I take my model apart as in flattening the hull? Once it is flattened, draw the plate lines on it in photoshop and then apply the tga as a decal color map and bump map? The model on the left was done by Fred Kuentz and William Babington.

Since the hull is basically an octagon, should I flatten each of the eight hull longitudinal sections, or just half the hull flat? I also wonder how can I achieve any proportional accuracy and spacing when I have to draw hull lines on a flattened piece that is distorted by the flattening?

Just when I thought the hard part was over :blink:

Nautilus_compareskins.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oooo nice detail.

For minimum distortion you would flatten each side (of 8) individually and add them to the uv map as 8 pieces. You could do it in two pieces as you say, but you could also do it in one by looking at it from above. you would have to spread out the cps by eye before you flatten them. As far as I know, the flatten "tool" doesn't do that for you.

Off course you meant nice detail on my unfinished sub, right? Not that "other" sub with all the little bumps and rivits and seams and interior detail and Nemo figure and ......wait, maybe you do mean that "other" sub.....ooooooOOOHHHH, just you wait and see what I can do with AM and no sleep for 48 hours...hehehehehe.

Thanks David, but I am looking for a less digital approach. The panels look great, but too perfect for a sub build in the 1980's. I also need to learn how to paint textures, etc.

Hey Brian, could you magnify that a bit, my eyes are somewhat bloodshot from lack of sleep B)