Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Lage scale terrains

nf1nk

So I have mostly finished building my fleet of racing jets, and would now like to race them through some large canyons or possibly fjords, with maybe a mountain range thrown in for good measure. The jets should move about 250m/s so the canyon will have to be large indeed.

I have my old AM 2000 book, and it mentions rebumpx, but I am not sure how compatable it is with v11. Any thoughts on good relatively recent tutorials on how to build mountains and valleys?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you run at 250m/s what is quite near to one mach, you wont need too large landscapes... at that speed you can repeat the landscape and noone will notice anything...

Maybe you could buy the landscape from eggprops...

If not, you should make a big grid and then just use the magnettool...

*Fuchur*

I looked at weggs grand canyon, and while it is pretty the edges don't feel sharp enough, the textures don't feel bold enough and I wold like mine to be more watery with flashes of green. In short it wan't what I wanted. I may slow things down to 200 m/s to get a little further under mach 1 which is closer to 300 m/s, either way I am going to eat up terrain very fast.

Sure you are right... cause of that I wrote: Quite near to...

A sound will have a speed of between 300-340 m/s... it varys because of the medium in which it moves...

I just thought: You wont have to move with 250 m/s... just make it for example 100 m/s or so... it will seem to be damn fast... or do you have to drive with that speed?

*Fuchur*

You could try the planet material applied to a sphere and then play with the parameters. That might be enough if the camera is moving at that speed or you could just use it as a base for a more detailed terrain.

For what you are attempting I would consider scaling everything down. :)

You could also search out some high altitude images on the internet, apply them to big grids and deforming to give a suitable landscape. It really depends on what the camera will be doing.

what I was wanting to do was run the aircraft real close to cayon walls at insane speeds, including having the planes just missing tree tops speeds may not have to be super high, but my particle systems are set so they look very good at 250 m/s