Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Hair Close-up

Hi all,

Here's a face closeup with my model using v11 hair. Some of the hair is looking nice but I need to address some geometry penetration (through the forhead and through the hood). Can this be avoided automatically with Hair settings or do I have to handle it manually?

FaceCloseUp3.jpg

Cheers

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've discovered that the 'collision-detection' in A:M is (pardon the pun) 'Hit or Miss'... (chuckles to himself...)

In my animation for CrimeBomb and Ms.Demeanor (http://amfilms.hash.com/search/Entry.php?entry=947)

I had this problem BIGTIME with Ms.D's poneytail coming thru her backside.

The problem seems to stem from A:Ms collision Detection not being able to detect the same geometry that the hair is emitting from. Because I had extruded to make the head and body, they were all the same geometry and thus, CD was not working and the hair freely passed thru the body... I came up with a 'cheat'.

I made a 'plane' of invisible patches that stood off of her back a little bit, and was 'boned' to the same bones her back was, so as she moved, the invisible plane moved with her... CD DID detect this plane and hair would not penetrate it.

In your case...I would make a similar plane in the area you are having trouble with, the forehead. set transparency to 100%. Either that or have your 'scalp' area REMOVED from the flesh, like with a copy/paste or something...I never tried the 2nd approach so keep me informed.

Be warned that if you DO a copy/paste effort that the hair 'styling' will not transfer in the paste. This is an issue I brought-up in the 'V11 Forum' that I hope Hash will address...

Good Luck!

Thanks John,

My scalp is its own geometry (I haven't turned on collision yet)

I found out about the loss of styling when I created the scalp/hair as a separate model just to see how things worked out. Not to worry - I need practise at styling hair. :rolleyes:

Once I get her hair done I will put a few in her eyebrows then here eye lashes...

Cheers

I am hijacking your thread. The new topic is OMG! That is an outstanding job. Can I ask a couple of questions? Is the detail in the corner of the eye geometry, decals, or a combination of the two? How did you go about getting the eyebrows and eyelashes to come out so nicely? I have tried transparent decals on an arced patch for eyelashes and always endup with something from a makeup artists nightmares (THE MASCARA EXPLODED)

Again, the modeling is excellent and the texturing is outstanding.

Bill

Thanks Guys,

It's my Hermione model (see the related thread in the WIP section to see wireframes etc) Modelling isn't hard - it just takes some experience and patience. You'll be doing it sooner than you think.

The eye is a cobination of geometry and decal. The UV Edit makes it easy to align the decal to the geometry (the decal is just a high res Poser 4 texture map I found via a google search).

The eyebrows are just decal - no hair yet, same for the eyelashes - none there yet - I'll just use V11 Hair.

Cheers

That there sure looks like poster material. I don't know if you intend the final image to be the same camera framing, but the one you have is striking. Render that baby out big and send a copy to Hash. I hope she'll be entered in the "Hero" contest.

As for all the hair work-arounds I'm reading here. What are you talking about: hair has pretty good collision detection. A couple simple examples of it not working like you expect should be submitted to A:M Reports so we can look at it.

Thanks Martin,

I'm still experimenting with the hair so if I get the hair right I will render it out for you - what size? (The posted image size took almost 4 hrs to render with Multipass 16 (4x4))

An older version of the model/render (full image - different, less detailed decal) has been entered already and I included the entire project file with the entry for James to add to the A:M Free models section.

Cheers

Well I kept working on the project but failed to take proper backups and lost it all this morning when A:M crashed on save :(

Well I still had the original Hermione model and found I was able to repeat the last 5 days work in about 3 hours :) Now have lots of practise and experience with Decals and grooming hair.

I've started rendering a 2048 x 1366 px version (multipass 9). Last render - 1 pass - took 5hr 10min on the Laptop. I've move the render to my PC (slower by 15%) so I don't expect a result until sometime Wednesday. Since it will be almost 8mb in size I'll have to cut it to disk and mail it to you. I'll also include the latest version of the project - with all files. There is no point rendering larger since the Decal does not have the required resolution.

Heres the new model/image version. Still havin gproblems with the fringe!

FaceCloseUp4.jpg

Cheers