sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

New character model

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You do not need to get rid of all 5 point patches. My Face models generally have 2 one each eye, one on each side of the nose and one or 2 around the ears. If you make them relatively small and even sided and place them where the skin is not likely to be folded then you shouldn't have any problems.

The splineage looks OK to me but I would actually add some extras in the eyelids to give you more skin and the ability to pose folds.

Cheers

You do not need to get rid of all 5 point patches. My Face models generally have 2 one each eye, one on each side of the nose and one or 2 around the ears. If you make them relatively small and even sided and place them where the skin is not likely to be folded then you shouldn't have any problems.

The splineage looks OK to me but I would actually add some extras in the eyelids to give you more skin and the ability to pose folds.

Cheers

Thanks for the c&c. I haven't started the eyelids yet, I will add all of that soon but since i can't get the five point spline to patch im stuck. Any other pointers are greatly appreciated.

You seem to have the basics right. There are too many splines for my liking. For example round the ear.

To keep the mesh smooth a tip might be to delete all but totally un-necessary splines and then add splines by selecting a spline and pressing y. This puts a cp right on the centre line and so encourages smoother surfaces.

What version are you running? I know that there are some occassions in versions 11+ the 5 point patch tool doesn't light up. Try:

1. Close the model windows. Reopen one and then set to spline view (num 8) and group select the points.

or

2. Select each point individually.

or

3. Select the points in a different order

or

4. Group select them in a different order (ie using the SHIFT key to add group selected splines)

I have known soem 5 pointers that took several attempts at grouping them before the 5 point patch tool became active (I am assuming that they are all continuous splines running through each of the 5 points of course)

Cheers

Thanks guys your advice is very helpful. I don't like the 5 point spline by the mouth but I can't seem to get rid of it. Will it couse me trouble when i make movements? Thanks

Also, Check out his ears now, are they better?

I just saw how big i made it, I must have rendered bigger than I realized.

post-7-1102992800.jpg

Ear better. Also, the fourth spline ring around the eye isn't doing anything(at the moment) that can't be made up by the rings around it.

Eyelids curve in at the sides. Select the 2 side points of the eye and nudge them into the head abit.

Generally the shape of the head is abit skewed, but you can tweak that when you're happy with the splines and Copy/flip/attach it.

What did you do to fill the 5 pointers?

Ear better. Also, the fourth spline ring around the eye isn't doing anything(at the moment) that can't be made up by the rings around it.

Eyelids curve in at the sides. Select the 2 side points of the eye and nudge them into the head abit.

Generally the shape of the head is abit skewed, but you can tweak that when you're happy with the splines and Copy/flip/attach it.

What did you do to fill the 5 pointers?

I never could figure out the 5 pointer. I had to undo it and attach it differently. Im not sure it will work the way i have it but we'll see. Do you think the 5 point spline near the mouth will cause trouble later on with face poses?

• 1 month later...

I like the neck, (I am Never happy with my necks), but I feel that If you are going for realistic the cranial size seems a little small (unless he is a cave man), and the crease between his pecks seems a little deep. other wise excellent. work