Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Industrial Stuff

Here's part of what I showed a potential customer.

It really pales compared to the work the rest of you guys do, but it performs a very specifc function for the industrial equipment buyer.

Most purchasers (VP's etc.) of industrial equipment are not engineers, and have a VERY difficult time understanding CAD drawings. They very quickly understand an animation. I can communicate in 15 minutes what would take an hour otherwise.

Remember, most automated equipment STARTS at $150,000 and can easily cost millions, so they need to understand how it will work.

This approach works very well.

My hope is to continue to build a library of industrial items so I can reduce my construction/modeling phase and turn them around faster. People tell me the reason other equipment manufacturers don't do this is the time involved (duh). Because I'm willing to forgo sleeping much, and work on this stuff during the weekends, I can do it.

Ultimately, I want to take this to industry.

I showed one of my robot vids to one of the Fanuc (huge robot mfg.) robotics guys and he thought it was awesome. They can can do interactive sims for customers, but can't export anything to use in a presentation.

I guess I just need to work on that library.

Hey, mabey AM could have an Industrial add on and could shorten the time required for industrial guys to create these cool examples.

Just the rantings of an industrial mad man.

David

cut_off2.m1v

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, mabey AM could have an Industrial add on and could shorten the time required for industrial guys to create these cool examples.

They do! It's called the community! :D If you ever need to meet a deadline fast, just hollar :) But what sort of "add on" would you invisage that would make creating this stuff faster?

The animation is great. Nice and funtional. If it was me(but I know it's not! :)), I would jazz it up abit. Maybe put it in a room and have a fly by so you can see the whole model and what's happening. Of course, you may have valid reasons for not doing this...

Ken,

Mainly the library.

But also a simplified method of translation.

For example, most automation involves picking up parts and move them around.

right now you need to translate to, orient like.

And to get a multisectioned part to follow a path is mind numbing (of course my mind isn't very from numb at any given moment).

Sometimes I jazz it up, but it depends on the audience. These guys just wanted the facts.

Here's a view of the other end of the machine.

There are things I intentionally leave out like parts of the mechanism because the extra work doesn't justify the result.

Thanks for your thoughts.

David

roller_cropped.mpg

right now you need to translate to, orient like.

I agree, these two constraints could be combined into a "Sticky" constraint.

That second one looks complexed to do alright. I know you had trouble with the roll....just a point.....the white piece should roll on the inside of the purple piece. But it ends up on the outside. Or am I missing something?

Ken,

It's supposed to lay on the trailing edge of the purple material, then get pulled along to wrap the exterior.

I started rolling the paper (whit material), the same way I did the purple material, but it was very difficult to make the action to roll it up, match the purple stuff. Finally I just created another part inside the roll and just expanded it out to give the illusion it was being wrapped.

A sticky thingy would be helpfull.

David

Hey Dave,

My 2 cents...you could probably add a lot more realism if you add a touch of reflectivity and specularity.

But, I see you were keeping it to the facts....which makes things easier.

Very cool stuff!

Eugene

My 2 cents...you could probably add a lot more realism if you add a touch of reflectivity and specularity.

Agreed.

I was under the gun a bit as I had promised something to the customer by a certain date.

It ended up taking me longer to get certain portions working, than I had expected.

A common pitfall for me, is to start constructing something, quickly without adding bevels and the like. Bad animator.

Bottom line is you are so right.

David