Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

How to arrange the texture map?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maps should be placed normaly except make one of the side by side maps overlap the other. Then the map that is overlapping should have a alpha map added so that you end up with a smooth fade into the overlapped map. To create an alpha in photoshop... make a new alpha channel...select this channel and deselect the RGB channels, but keep them visible (make sure the alpha map is also visible... choose a tool to paint with (airbrush gives you a soft edge) and draw the alpha (using black with a white background- black is transparency in alpha channel).

Or you can simply use the mask tool to select an area and under channel options you can choose to use the selection to make an alpha from. I perfer the drawn method because I can see the faded area clearly... with a mask it gives you a line of "marching ants".

That's how you get well blended textures from one into another.... there are tutorials out there on how to do all this in detail... check the Hash site to find them.

If you mean by "seamless texture" one texture that will be repeated accross the entire mesh... I don't think that would be very defining on an animal... a tiger is not entirely striped. I'm interested to see what you come up with.

I can handle PS, just the UV mesh separation and texture alignment that are hard, you have to take a best guess and go back and forth to see if the hair size and direction not to mention tonal value is correct.

This is the hardest part in AM I think, here is the tiger with out the stripe yet, I will post my uv arrangement later.

post-7-1092730885.jpg

I am hoping to see some different texture map arrangement from other user, here is the head so far, need to fix the seam along the center parting, did a map for it but ended up blur.

A transparency were used to cut a hole for the ears to blend in. This way I don't have to disrupt the head geometry.

There is a way to save a texture map for the partings but have to adjust the bias handles, quite tedious.

post-7-1092970846.jpg