Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Comic Book Style

Been playing with the toon shader again, definitely more of a inked comic-book style this time. (Been playing City of Heroes)

jade-death.jpg

Tomorrow or the day after I'll update my toon-shading tutorial with how to get this look.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the look. My wife will like it cause it is green.

THIS IS NOT A SUGGESTION: Isn't it great the way more modern comic characters have such exagerrated features. For examle there is no way in hell that girl can actually pick up her feet. Or the non-tilted sword for that matter :D

Do some more. My wife says she would love to see purple too.

Wade

Beautiful and artistic use of the toon render! I Don't know how you do it.

I find it interesting that in this future world she lives in you can get cybernetic limb replacements but LASIK eye surgery is still just out of reach. Or the "Anime Superhero" health plan doesn't cover it...

Or maybe it is just a little "too scary":

"You want to shoot a WHAT at my eyeballs!?"

All joking aside it is a wonderful image.

Vernon "Cybernetic Hair!" Zehr

Thanks everyone :)

Yea I should have tilted the sword a bit, my bad.

Wade - there's a coincidence, once I finished rigging her I was planning on doing a version of this purple character - http://demented3d.com/krick.jpg (pic is a lil dark I know. Also that's a CoH screenshot, not my work.)

As for exaggerated features, it's a wonder most comic book women dont snap their lower back with all the weight on their chest hehe.

The shades are all about 'tude B)

Will update the toon shading tutorial soon.

There's only 1 light in the entire choreography. The toon shader is setup to fake rim lighting and stuff.

Seems like every time I model one of these toon characters I say I'll animate them but I never get around to it. (like the elf chick in my avatar) I want to animate this character and I plan to, but no promises =)

• Admin

Always love your stuff and now even more reason to like you!!!

Great information and materials... Thanks!

In the past I did a bit of testing but never really found the ideal setting for the comic book feel I was after at the time.

Who knows I might someday try again!

Reguardless, I wanna use your silver material to have a bit of fun with! :)

More Please!

Woohoo!

Thanks for the tutorial and the materials!!!! I can't wait to play with these... if I ever get a chance to use AM again that is. So much WORK, so many deadlines...

I think the reason I had so much trouble in the past with the toon render was the fact I had no good material references.

You rule dude!

Vernon "Ack! Another deadline!" Zehr

Thanks Rodney, Vern. Its mentioned in the tute, but I thought I should say it again here. Make sure you set your ambiance color per group to Zer0. Otherwise the rich black ink-look gets washed away.

For lighting I just use a single klieg light which seems to work fine.

Oh yea, the characters actual skin uses the method from the lower part of the anime shading tute.