Jump to content
Hash, Inc. Forums

Decal transparency not working

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I'm trying to add decals with transparent backgrounds, as I've done many times before without problems. I create my decal in Photoshop CC and save as either TGA or PNG. PNGs come out with a black background; TGAs with white. I've tried all options in save options, but no change.

I admit to being rusty, but I'm sure I'm doing this the way I always did. Any suggestions gratefully received!clarence0.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are going to save as PNG, paint your image on a transparent "layer", with no "background", then save as PNG.



PNG file...


I prefer TGA but that workflow is harder to explain in one sentence.


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the super quick answer - again - Rob!

My PNGs are on a transparent background, which I'm sure always used to work. However, you've jogged my memory on TGA; I'd forgotten that you need to add a transparent mask and save the alpha channel. That works! Something's gone amiss somewhere with PNGs (see below), but at least there's a good work-around.

Thanks again!



Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jem Shaw said:

P.S. It may, of course, be down to the latest update to Photoshop CC. Adobe's talent for screwing things up is legendary!

Could you post a PSD  and a PNG that you save from it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got interesting results.

The PNG you sent showed black fill when used as a decal in A:M (Orig PNG)

I didn't have the Muli extralight font, but when I loaded your PSD, Photoshop created the shape anyway. The PNG I saved from that showed black fill also when used as a decal in A:M (Model B )

Then I located and installed the Muli extralight font. The PNG saved after that worked appropriately. (Model E)

Perhaps it is indeed your Photoshop. My Photoshop is v 6.0 from 2000.

I recall the Creative Cloud subscription lets you install certain  earlier versions. If you have further troubles that might be something to try.



Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting indeed! I tried rasterizing the text and also changing the font to Arial in case that was the culprit. Neither worked. It does look as if Adobe have broken something else. No surprise there, they trashed Dreamweaver and killed Director. No matter, I'll stick with TGA until that gets ruined too :-)

Thanks again Rob, you've been a great help.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...