sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Electronic sounds in Forbidden Planet

Simon Edmondson

That was a really revolutionary film. I saw a documentary on it one time. I think there was a certain section about the sound effects. If I'm not mistaken,

they had to come up with what the elements would actually sound like and thus they stereotyped some of the "Sci-Fi" noises.

They showed it last night on BBC4 as part of the Shakespeare season,( they are celebrating 400years since he died).

Apparently the film was based on the play "The Tempest".

I thought the radio show was interesting because they explained how they came up with some of the sounds, speeding up and slowing down tape was often a big part of it, and they had a modern musician trying to replicate the sounds on modern equipment. They were not allowed to call it music and the film company did a deal behind their backswhich meant they were never able to work in Hollywood again. Very bad when you consider the influence they had on what came later.

regards

simon