Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Toonboom Animation acquires Southpaw Tactic Studio

Rodney

• Admin

*Some corrections updates have been applied to this topic since first posting*

This is kind of a 'yikes' for me...

I've reported on the project management solution known as 'Tactic' by Southpaw Technologies and even explored it a little as I thought it was well worth looking into. In recent times Southpaw had been pushing a tailor made VFX setup of Tactic designed with filmmaking in mind.

The 'yikes' of this post is that I just saw the news that Toonboom Animation Inc. has purchased Southpaw** and is rolling out their own version of Project Management named Toon Boom Manager.

https://www.toonboom.com/products/manager

news release:

https://www.toonboom.com/news/toon-boom-animation-acquires-tactic-studio-southpaw-technology

The pros and cons? Not sure.

I assume that the basic Tactic software will still be open and free but am not sure about that because no information on the open program was released short of saying Southpaw would still sell it's tailored version of Tactic for B2B purposes.

Why is this news?

Primarily because everyone who can is getting into the content management and collaboration biz.

Adobe is pushing integration and collaboration with its CC products

Autodesk recently acquired Shotgun

Animation Mentor is fielding Artella

Sony has their online collab in the cloud

Avid has recently launched their own cloud collab solution (primarily for musicians)

And on and on and on...

In the long run this should help to bring project management software to the masses but in the short term I have some concerns.

**Correction: There's a bit of a disconnect here for me in that it appears Toonboom has purchased only the Tactic VFX Studio portion of Southpaws technology/API. Not sure what all that suggests but that would be much different than Toonboom purchasing all of Southpaw, which is not what appears to have happened. The good news in this is that the underlying software Tactic would still be separate and freely available to all.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic