Hash, Inc. Forums
robcat2075

"Live Answer Time" Saturdays Noon CST

Great to meet Charles (chazcron) today at Live Answer Time!

I'm glad we got your A:M running and it was cool to see your car models! Don't forget the contest!

On 10/12/2018 at 3:15 PM, robcat2075 said:

Live Answer Time returns on Saturday the 13th, October 2018 at Noon CDT

Cancelled due to rain.  See you next week! If it's not raining.

It's like Ernie Bushmiller predicted my house 60 years in advance...

image.png

Come to the last Live Answer Time of Daylight Saving Time at Noon CDT on October 27 2018!

October 27 is the 133rd birthday of Henri Matisse's "favorite pupil," the Swedish modernist painter Sigrid Hjertén.

212238e901a424d340ba173a6723ade2--studio

At Live Answer Time, Andy was asking about the old Python modeling plugin.

Here is what i have on my HD

AM9_python_plugins.zip

This requires a very specific version of A:M v9 to work and probably an old version of Windows for A:M v9 to work. :)

I was wrong about the 2001 disc.

It is the KeeKat disc.

There will be a Live Answer Time at Noon CST November 10 2018. November 10 is teh 127th birthday of Warner Bros. Cartoon composer, Carl Stalling.

On 9/29/2018 at 4:40 PM, Roger said:

Microsoft's new slogan: "Windows Update: It's Done When It's Done."

Almost sounds like a Saturday Night Live skit.

Unless it's one of these less common issues, but now more common than ever. :-(

Detailed information about the SSU and known issues here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3177467/servicing-stack-update-for-windows-7-sp1-and-windows-server-2008-r2-sp)

Known issues for this update

Restart stuck on "Stage 2 of 2" or "Stage 3 of 3"

After you install update 3177467 together with other updates, a restart may be required to complete the installation. During this restart, you may find yourself stuck on "Stage 2 of 2" or "Stage 3 of 3".

If you encounter this issue, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to continue to log on. This should occur only one time and does not prevent updates from installing successfully.

Note In managed environments, such as by using Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), you can avoid either of these issues by deploying this update as a stand-alone update.

Restart stuck on

Please note, only a small percentage of systems typically exhibit this glitch and the solution is simple. Just type CTRL-ALT-DEL to dismiss the message and return to the Windows 7 login screen.

Live Answer Time returns at Noon CST, November 17 2018

November 17 is the 515th birthday of Italian  Mannerist painter Bronzino

image.png

Live Answer Time returns again on December 1 2018 noon CST.

December 1 is the  302nd birthday of French sculptor Étienne Maurice Falconet

Falconet's "Allegory of Sculpture" is a sculpture about... sculpture!

350px-The_Allegory_of_Sculpture_Statue,_

11 hours ago, robcat2075 said:

Live Answer Time returns again on December 1 2018 noon CST.

December 1 is the  302nd birthday of French sculptor Étienne Maurice Falconet

Falconet's "Allegory of Sculpture" is a sculpture about... sculpture!

350px-The_Allegory_of_Sculpture_Statue,_

I'm afraid I have to miss Live Answer Time this week, I don't have a system with working audio.   I will see you guys next week. 

Visit Live Answer Time at Noon CST, December 8

December 8 is the 157th birthday of French film pioneer Georges Méliès

Le_Voyage_dans_la_lune.jpg

Sorry I missed tried to get in but having issues 

Live Answer Time resumes at Noon CST, December 15 2018

Man of the tower, Alexandre Gustave Eiffel was born on this day in 1832.

Not bad, but I think he's got some inside-out-patches here...

Construction_tour_eiffel4.JPG

The first Live Answer Time of Winter happens at Noon CST, Saturday December 22, 2018

December 22 is the 101st birthday of actor and game show host, Gene Rayburn.

183px-Gene_Rayburn_the_match_game.jpg

The subject of Desired Gamma came up and I was unable to get my software to cooperate at the time, so, I made an attempt at a video explanation of the little I know that I am posting here along with the Projects used and renders.

One thing I still don't think I got across in the video is that if you are working with 2.2 gamma images, the gamma correction can get re-applied automatically with each iteration causing the image or portion of image (and colors) to lighten.  Anyway, here is the video and Project files.

Hopefully, it is helpful.

Desired_Gamma_testing.zip

I did some more digging and found info on Desired Gamma here (a page from Yves' website using the Wayback Machine).  The paragraphs that apply are these:

I don't know about all the 3D CG applications but I will take Animation:Master as an example. In the "Tools" menu, "Options", "Rendering" tab, there are two settings for adjusting the gamma of the "Preview renders": "Desired Gamma" and "Current Gamma".

The "Current Gamma" setting can be set with the help of the embedded gamma chart. The display monitor should arleady be set with a gamma 2.2 but the provided gamma chart will allow adjusting the preview renders to work correctly with whatever prefered gamma setting.

The "Desired Gamma" should be set to whatever gamma correction that is planned to be applied as a post processing on the rendered output files. In the context of the tone correction tutorial, this should be set to "2.2".

The default values for those settings are Desired Gamma: 1.0 and Current Gamma: 2.2. This setting will actually apply no gamma correction at all to the preview renders no matter how your workstation gamma is actually set. In the context of the current Tone Correction tutorial, those settings should be set to 2.2 in both cases.

This would mean that the "Current Gamma" should be set to the gamma of your monitor (which should be 2.2 for everyone).  Then, the "Desired Gamma"  is set to the gamma correction planned...which, if rendering to a 1.0 gamma OpenEXR, needs to be 1/2.2 according to this illustration (found on this page):

gamma.svg

Reading Yves' description, I would assume this correction for a 1.0 gamma would be applied when "Desired Gamma" is set to 1.0, but that doesn't work for me...I get a white screen.  It does appear to work if I set the "Desired Gamma" to 3.4.  I've been using 3.3, but if it's supposed to work at 1.0 there would be a difference of 1.2 and that would be 3.4 (going in the opposite direction).  So, I'm thinking that "Desired Gamma" may be working, but in the opposite direction as intended?  Well, as long as it works.

The disconnect between the explanations and my practical results has always confused me.

FYI,  when I use the "Current Gamma" tool in the Render Options I find that my Cintiq is about 1.8 while my rather bargain LCD monitor is more like 2.2

If "Current Gamma" is about making the preview renders appear in a certain way then i should at least be seeing a wildly different on screen appearance between the highest and lowest possible settings for "Current Gamma."

I can't see any difference in the appearance of the gray scale produced by a 100% "soft" kleig light at either end of the settings.

11 minutes ago, itsjustme said:

Here's what I get:

I don't get anything like that.  It looks the same either way.

Mine was acting up during Answer Time, but when I set the Gamma in the Rendering tab (Tools/Options/Rendering/Gamma) to "Custom" and "1" it started behaving itself...not sure why, I'm assuming it needed to be set to something now.

Doing the "Custom" and "1" gets me some change but now everything is either very very dark or totally black.

Even if i go back to "none" I can't get back well-balanced range of light to dark I had before.

Yup, that got it back.  But why is there no combination of settings that will produce a normal display?

Don't worry about it tonight. It will make a fruitful LAT topic.

Merry Christmas , David!

Our last LAT of the year will be at Noon CST on December 29, 2018

Our main agenda will be strategizing Roger's New Years Animation.

December 29 is Pablo Casal's 142nd birthday

The first Live Answer Time of 2019 happens at Noon CST, Saturday January 5

January 5 is the 138th birthday of Spanish Sculptor Pablo Gargallo

408px-Pablo_Gargallo,_%22Kiki_de_Montpar

Live Answer Time returns on Saturday January 12 at Noon CST.

January 12 is the 346th birthday of Venetian artist, Rosalba Carriera

This is very interesting... Her pastel portrait of Horace Walpole almost looks like she has included Depth of Field in the rendering!

Horace_Walpole_by_Rosalba_Carriera.jpg

Live Answer Time resumes at Noon CST, January 19 2019

January 19 is the 180th birthday of French artist Paul Cézanne.

287px-Paul_C%C3%A9zanne_130.jpg  640px-C%C3%A9zanne,_Paul_-_Still_Life_wi