sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

FMX with Ed Hooks and Dörthe Eickelberg

Rodney

• Admin

This is from 2013 but I haven't seen it linked here in the forum.

Part 1 is "Acting for Animators" with Ed Hook:

z8TS-E2pxek

Part 2 is "Improv for Animators" with Dörthe Eickelberg:

yUNRDtKKIOs

There are lots of nice insights to glean from both interviews.

Source: AnimatorIslandTV

(Animator Island has a pretty biting commentary/satire on online animation schools. A little fun/funny)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched the first one with Ed Hooks (I have his book "Acting for animators") . In general, I found it a bit tedious, and stopped listening to the words.

However, I found it fascinating to watch the different body language, expressions, gestures contrasting Hooks and his interviewer. Would be fun to do an (short - not 21 minutes) animation of the 2 of them together. Hooks - laid back, low power center, many hand gestures, wonderful facial expressions, tics, smug, confident authority...whilst the interviewer - high power center, tight, nervous, minimal facial expressions, feeling submissive?

Maybe it was tedious because I didn't hear anything "new, revolutionary"?

Will watch the 2nd.

• Admin

I enjoyed this interview more than Ed's book.

There are aspects of Ed's approach that I resist which may be what makes what he says all the more compelling to me (i.e. I want to better understand what he is saying).

I was tempted to post what I considered the highlights of the interview and may still do that if there is interest.

Dorthe Eickelberg's piece I was a little less interested in because her course seems more like a series of team building exercises.

That isn't a negative critique of her course... it's just my shorthand way of surveying it.

Would be fun to do an (short - not 21 minutes) animation of the 2 of them together. Hooks - laid back, low power center, many hand gestures, wonderful facial expressions, tics, smug, confident authority...whilst the interviewer - high power center, tight, nervous, minimal facial expressions, feeling submissive?

I like the way you think.

Perhaps that might be a legitimate way to republish some of the excellent resources we have avaliable to us these days.

Kind of like 'The 11 Second Club'... for animation education purposes... on steroids.

Dorthe Eickelberg's piece I was a little less interested in because her course seems more like a series of team building exercises.

That isn't a negative critique of her course... it's just my shorthand way of surveying it.

I enjoyed the first part of her interview, found it to have some new insights for me. I thought I would enjoy watching the excerpts from her improv course, but lost interest.

Can be team building, but I also think it is a good way to develop and get in touch with one's own spontaneity or lack of.