Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Experimenting with new workflows in v18

Rodney

• Admin

This image won't make much sense to anyone but I want to post it to remind me to delve into this area further.

What it represents is a rapid workflow that didn't exist before v18 (the process could be done but not in its current form).

The basic concept is this:

Phase 1 Modeling

- Create a simple shape/object (in this case a simple can)

- Create a new Action of 5 or 6 frames in length (the number of frames really depends on what you want to produce. In this case I wanted to place a few cans in psuedo random fashion on/near an imaginary ground plane)

- Turn Onion Skinning on (it's best to add this to your toolbar which you can do in v18... adjust the onionskinning so that all 5 keyframes of the Action will remain in view)

- Position the can on each frame relative to the past and future locations of the can (i.e. composing the image by viewing all positions of cans that will be created later on)

- Rotate the can on each frame as necessary in 3D space to further refine the composition

- Export the 5 frame sequence to AV2 format (for some reason exporting to sequential A:M models is not supported. AV2 is a fairly good format for quick export and reimport although the biases and splines layout may be altered upon reimport. Hash's PLY format works pretty good too but I've always been partial to AV2)

- Create a new Model and Import the sequence of AV2 models (They will all take their place as in the anticipated composition)

- Save the Model

Phase 2 Decaling

Use A:M's Snapshot feature to capture the image of the cans (preferrably from an anticipated camera/audience view) and then immediately paste that snapshot back onto the cans as a decal

Right click on the image container in the Project Workspace to open the associated image application (this could be anything but in this case it opened in Irfanview... draw/paint something and save over the top of the previous decal (Note: It would be best to save under a different name so that it can be used again if needed but the original decal is not particularly necessary)

Phase 3 Refinement/Final Look (Not explored)

Here you would tweak and refine the model and decal to serve the specific scenario for which it was designed in the first place.

From start to finish this process should only take a few minutes (5 minutes might be optimum... 10 too much)

The whole idea is to rapidly produce content that will be refined or replaced later.

As such high level of detail should be avoided.

If I can make any headway with this I'll share a video of the basic workflow.

rapidproto.jpg

result.jpg

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Posted Images