sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

16 core server really cheap

Roger

• *A:M User*

I had been thinking about buying a used i7 970 to upgrade my desktop and get an extra 2 cores, and while trawling through ebay I found one of these bad boys for about the same price:

http://www.dell.com/us/dfb/p/poweredge-r900/pd

It has 4 quad cores and can accept 4 6 core xeons. 32GB of RAM, will take a max of 256 I think. 140GB HD or so.

I'm really tempted but it has a 1500 watt power supply, if I leave the thing running 24/7 and it is pulling down 1500w constantly it will cost about $1000 yearly in power costs. It probably doesn't draw

that much, the xeons can't be more than 100W a piece and I could put a low power flash drive and bare bones video in it and probably get the power envelope down to 500-600W max. And make sure I make aggressive use of sleep mode. Or shut it off.

What do you guys think? It is less than $400 shipped.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It currently has 4 quad core Xeon E7340 processors at 2.4ghz, it will take hexacores as well. But the upgrade would be expensive.

I found a quad hexacore model for $600 but wasn't looking to spend that much.

I think the E7340 is comparable to an i7 920.

Did some digging on that processor model, doesn't look like it has hyperthreading. So it would have a total of 16 possible threads.

Would need to use Server 2008 on it or Linux, since Windows 7 Pro only supports 2 sockets. Might be better off getting a dual socket 1366 motherboard, and two Xeon 5670 processors (the 6 core variant with multithreading). That would give me 12 logical cores and 24 threads.

But, I would have to pick up RAM, CPUs, motherboard all separately. Would probably run at least $600.

Or I could just get the single i7 970 to drop in my current box, and hang onto or sell my i7 920.

• Hash Fellow

Of course, my standard advice is don't buy any tech until you need it.

I think upgrading your current desktop to a 4-core is your most advantageous path now that would require the least additional purchases.