Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

WIP: Tomahawk missile

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work!

It will be a shame to see it blow up but that will also be very cool.

If the generosity bug happens to bite you, you might want to think about offering this model to the library that Art is making of props. He already has a military helmet and night googles. With this, Hash is just about ready to go to war! Watch out M**A and 3****X :D

Paul

I was curious about the part you have mounted on the back of the missle. It makes it look a little more like a winged torpedo so I did a quick Yahoo Search and found a great link to a sight about the Tomahawk that shows launches, flights, and impacts. One of the more siginificant features of the Tomahawk appears to be the air intake mounted on the bottom of the rear of the fuselage.

Tomahawk Info

When I was in the Nav we fired the old style Harpoons once in the Indian Ocean on a joint excercise with the Saudi Navy. It was an incredible experience. There is a video of a Surface to Surface launch on the site. I did not watch it but I am sure it shows how slowly the missle appears to leave the launcher before it actually accelerates. This is problably the key to getting a launch to look realistic. That is of course if this is part of what you need to animate.

Good Luck.

As a side note, if you ever find yourself animating Surface to Air Missles, they leave the rail at approximately Mach 2 and are usually about a mile away before you realize that you still have eardrums and that something just happened. Hell to try to take pictures of.

Wade (I don't get to offer any real knowledge often so I rambled)

Are the Rivets modelled or bumped?

Great Model!

Wade

They look modeled. Usually with a bump map, you don't actually get the protrusion you see at the top of the missle. Bump maps loose their effectiveness in creating the illusion of depth at extreme angles, since there is no actual geometry.

Anyhow, the missle looks really good. If I see one for real that close, I hope it's on mounted on something rather than floating in mid air like that. :D I don't know why, but I was expecting more labeling on it than what you have.

'Course the best place to see one of these is from a periscope!

Great modeling job! Not 100% accurate, though. The back portion behind the fins is a solid rocket booster that drops off during transition to cruise, not a diffuser like a torpedo.

But, regardless, it's great for an Iron Man animation. We're not shooting at the superhero, though, are we? Tell me some evil dictator got a hold of it and Iron Man has to take it out. He was always one of my favorites.

Thanks for all the comments!

Yes, not a totally accurate model, but the baddies that built it to mess with Shellhead altered it, not me :D

It's all geometry, no bump maps used.

And I'm a generous guy, so after the comic contest, I'll give it to animation pit stop or some place for everyone to use.

Will post a wireframe soon too.

Now back to my Iron Man sequential page...boy that missile is getting close!

- pjc