Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Gollum Attempt

I am attempting to model the head of Gollum.

I used a couple images from the web as rotoscopes and modeled from that.

I think the head looks ok as a model (better than other stuff I've done) but the only problem is it does not really look like Gollum.

Can anyone tell me what they think the problem is?

Maybe his head is too boxy/square?

Also, is it too spline heavy? Any ideas for where to lighten it up would be helpful as well. Thanks!

Thanks for any input.

GollumShadedPerspective.jpg

Gollum Side

Gollum Wireframe Front

Gollum Wireframe Side

Gollum Wireframe Perspective

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good as it is.....From memory of making him in Sculpey, his nose is more pointed at the end. Maybe it's longer altogether too? I think his cheekbones( not necessarily his chin) could be further apart too as Jim says.

Post any changes you make! :)

Thanks Jim!

One of my co-workers mentioned the head looks more like Gary Coleman than Gollum.... :huh:

I must say I have to agree...not exactly what I was going for though.

I referenced the Colin Freeman tutorial as I modeled the head so maybe there are resemblances of his kid as well (sorry Colin).

Anyway, I'll take all the crits I get and hopefully have something that looks more like Gollum and less like Gary Coleman.

Whatchu talkin' bout Pia ?!

Anyhow I think its a good start. Look at the bridge of the nose in the far right ref pic. What you have now looks like a scrunched up forehead as a person may have in anger, which you have modeled as one big wrinkle. But in the ref you can see that its three different wrinkles all running vertically down the face. Also, when Gollum's face is at rest (as in the other two references) there is no wrinkle.

I'm curious as to whether you should model the wrinkles in or leave that to when you're morphing into poses. Well ... hope this is mildly helpful. Cool model so far.

Doug