Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Using your created Model in other Projects

Schloss

v.13 Mac

So I did a nice job on the Boneless Thom Lesson. How do I extract him (My Boneless Thom) and save him as a new .mdl so I can use him in other projects? How do you place him in "My Library" or is that not what I want to do? Where do you keep your collection of models after you create them?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Admin

Hi Schloss,

Hopefully you are already familiar with the Project Workspace (PWS).

If you don't have that opened go to up to the top of your Menu and select [View].

Then select Project Workspace.

Note: If your computer has a number pad you can use a shortcut keys (Alt+1) to open/close the PWS. Simply holding down the Alt key and select the number 1.

In the PWS look under [Objects] for your model. (If you haven't renamed the model it might be called Model1).

Right Click and choose Save As.

Then browse to the location of your choice and save the Model with a useful name.

You'll be able to open or import the model in a variety of ways but the easiest is via the main menu using [Open] on the menu and then browsing to the location of your model.

It's a lot easier than it sounds. ;)

There are other ways to save models as well... within Project, Choreographies and the like so depending on how you want to proceed you do have other options available to you.

• Admin

The use of a Library is optional but can be quite handy in keeping your Models organized.

Perhaps the easiest way to add your Models to a Library is to:

Open the Modeling Window of your Model

Right Click and Choose the Option [Create Shortcut in Library]

Note that right below this option you've got another important option (Create Icon)

You will usually want to use this first to assign an Library Icon to your Model

Keep in mind that Models will not have a custom image assigned to them until after you have assigned one so... move your model around, Zoom In/Zoom Out and try that Create Icon options a few times.

Another quick way to add Models to your Library is to drag and drop them from their location on your hard drive right into A:M in a Library folder (Create as many folders as you like).

See image below for a view of the Options available via the Modeling window when you Right Click.

Right_Click_Create_Shortcut_in_Library.png

• Admin

The thought occurs to me that there is a fairly straightforward workflow for you to get your Model saved and into your Library... and to have it show up with your custom icon.

- Open your Model

- Position the Model in the window as appropriate (Zoom In/Out or move Left/Right)

- Right Click anywhere in Modeling Window and select [Add Shortcut to Library]

-- As unsaved Models cannot be added to the Library, A:M should prompt you to save it)

- Browse to the location on your harddrive where you will be saving your models

- Save your Model

Notes:

When first adding a Model to your Library via this method A:M will use the current view to create the Model's Icon. To edit that Icon, simply move/turn/zoom around your model to get the desired position, Right Click and select [Create Icon].

A:M's Library shortcuts are just that shortcuts. They simply point to the location where the Model is on your harddrive. Whether grabbing your Model from the shortcut in the Library or from the harddrive you are using the same model. As the links in your Library will depend on the original model remaining in the location specified by the shortcut, consider this well when moving files to other locations on your hard drive.

The thought occurs to me that there is a fairly straightforward workflow for you to get your Model saved and into your Library... and to have it show up with your custom icon.

- Open Model

- Position Model in the window as appropriate (Zoom In/Out or move Left/Right)

(As unsaved Models cannot be added to the Library, A:M should prompt you to save it)

- Save your Model

Note that A:M's Library is simply pointing to that location where the Model is on your harddrive. Whether grabbing your Model from the shortcut in the Library or from the harddrive you are using the same model. As the links in your Library depend on the shortcut to the original model, consider this well when moving files to other locations on your hard drive.

- Open Model

- Position Model in the window as appropriate (Zoom In/Out or move Left/Right)

(As unsaved Models cannot be added to the Library, A:M should prompt you to save it)

- Save your Model

Note that A:M's Library is simply pointing to that location where the Model is on your harddrive. Whether grabbing your Model from the shortcut in the Library or from the harddrive you are using the same model. As the links in your Library depend on the shortcut to the original model, consider this well when moving files to other locations on your hard drive.

Thanks Rodney for the help. That did it.