Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

illuminating things

dblhelix

lesseee...

1. is there a way to simultaneously (=identically) change light cone values on a group of lights? it could be just me (this pc), but shift-choosing is problematic due to the refresh freezing. any tips/workarounds appreciated!

2. how to grapple with the oddsy roll handle - it changes when rotating the.. hmm the yellow balk? indicating light direction and gets in the way. if i delete the entire param in pws this changes xyz rotations. this is not serious but a bit of nuisance at larger quantities of lamps/lights.

3. the fill light is a bit of a performer isn't it? one fill just needs to be present and on and the entire chor is awash with its influence? not a problem, just trying to understand.

4. is the glow somehow similar to unsharp mask in PS? in my crisply lit chor, i'm pretty sure all i did was 0% chor values for glow (to see what it was already doing by default) and everything went all fuzzy and dreamy? maybe my question here is about the relationship between the different places to control glow, how they interact. done the usual spacebars and rebooting a:m.

thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow
lesseee...

1. is there a way to simultaneously (=identically) change light cone values on a group of lights? it could be just me (this pc), but shift-choosing is problematic due to the refresh freezing. any tips/workarounds appreciated!

One light could control other lights if the others had an expression (looking at the first light) for their cone parameter.

Do you need to animate this value? If you just need to set it and leave it and the lights are all instances of the same light in the objects folder you could set their cone values to "not set" in the chor and set it in the original light in the Objects folder instead.

2. how to grapple with the oddsy roll handle - it changes when rotating the.. hmm the yellow balk? indicating light direction and gets in the way. if i delete the entire param in pws this changes xyz rotations. this is not serious but a bit of nuisance at larger quantities of lamps/lights.
Does the roll really matter for a light?

3. the fill light is a bit of a performer isn't it? one fill just needs to be present and on and the entire chor is awash with its influence? not a problem, just trying to understand.
It's a light like any other. Set it lower? I think its default is 45%. That's a lot of fill.

Of course, relighting from scratch is best for fine work.

4. is the glow somehow similar to unsharp mask in PS? in my crisply lit chor, i'm pretty sure all i did was 0% chor values for glow (to see what it was already doing by default) and everything went all fuzzy and dreamy? maybe my question here is about the relationship between the different places to control glow, how they interact. done the usual spacebars and rebooting a:m.
Mystery. need to see more.

thanks, progress report:

the cone problem turned out to be a mirage. once the "shortcut to" was chosen,

the light size became small, looking just right, indicating complete adaptation but was not.

so i neglected to scale! scaling made all params correct. happy now.

just reporting:

i was so sure the roll handle behaviour would lead to some kind of action, but it remains a sidenote.

i discovered, that in the one perfect light group used as original, the shortcut values

"transform rotate" in the properties window were different from "transform rotate" in the

shortcut>action>chor list of changes made.

when copying these changes onto other lights, the copypaste refused to stick!

at the moment all properties windows numbers are identical but the cone angles differ.

don't remember how many (2? 3?) lights were made before i unearthed the "shortcut" system.

when that happened, i changed all lights (with different values&such) into shortcuts of the first light.

then tried to copypaste the values from the 1st light's shortcut onto other shortcuts.

guessing there's the reason to problems. very confused, will adjust manually.

haven't even gotten to the fill, mine is at 2%, and it lights up the entire chor with that amount

though its size is a tenth of the area and is directed straight down. this is actually just what is

needed (comics graphics, not pure 3D) but it was unexpected.

checked the glow values, and in chor settings i'd changed the first default from 50% to 3% and

the second default from 200% to 100%. and the scene turned romantic. lights look good, but

there's a bit more model detail needed. i'll get back if i can't best it.

• Hash Fellow

It is possible to Copy from one light and Paste to another. If you just want rotation and not translation, turn off the the Translation filter before you do the copy/paste. Have the ETC filter on to get other light settings like color and cone angle.

haven't even gotten to the fill, mine is at 2%, and it lights up the entire chor with that amount

though its size is a tenth of the area and is directed straight down.

The "Fill" light in the default chor is a Sun light which illuminates over an infinitely wide area. If you need to light only a small area, use a Kleig light.

If setting a low % for the intensity of your "Fill" light has no effect, try deleting it and putting in a new one.

documenting:

the roll handle turned out to be an indication after all.

in the image, take a look at the yellow square at the bottom of the pic.

venture a quick bet what that could be before i tell that it's...

runaways_copy.jpg

the "rotate object" handle for the light.

seems if a handle gets going it doesn't travel alone.

going to delete the thing and start from scratch..

• Hash Fellow
documenting:

the roll handle turned out to be an indication after all.

in the image, take a look at the yellow square at the bottom of the pic.

venture a quick bet what that could be before i tell that it's...

runaways_copy.jpg

the "rotate object" handle for the light.

seems if a handle gets going it doesn't travel alone.

going to delete the thing and start from scratch..

That looks like something seriously amiss.

Can you save a PRJ with that light in it and post it?

Delete that light and make a new one. What version are you using?

documenting;

it's a virus. opening a pdf (techref, tuts) tunes the program in to Twin Peaks.

suspected as much earlier, but there were too many emergencies to be sure.

today it disabled view toggling; all views 2-8 zoomed out to infinity at every change.

rebooting a:m didn't help, rebooting pc did.