Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Particle system bugging, some patches not emitting.

Meowx

Using 15.0j on an Intel iMac 10.5.8. It seems that many patches don't emit sprite particles... randomly. I threw together a project quick to test it out, and a simple model revealed the same results.

spritebug.zip

If you've got the time, I'd love to hear if you have problems with this. Try dragging the particle emitter to different groups, or try copying the groups and then moving the emitter around. It sometimes seems to only work with certain patches of the groups, or emit unevenly.

Animation_MasterScreenSnapz030.jpgAnimation_MasterScreenSnapz031.jpg

I haven't touched this particle system since I got it running great back in this thread, and I loaded it up today to find it not working at all. It coughs out a poof from a single patch and then just stops. Help!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm pretty sure a particle material treats the group it is applied to as a *single surface*, instead of as a collection of patches, and doesn't necessarily do "load balancing" over this single surface. The behavior you describe seems consistent with that. When I apply your sprite material to each of the two groups in the model you posted, I get aprox. double the number of sprites emitted than when I apply it to the "both groups" group. (15j+ WinXP). When I apply the material to each patch (8 patches total), I get aprox 8x the number of sprites emitted.

Problem is, I see it coming from very specific patches - and not evenly dispersed. For example, when I first made that test model and applied the particle mat to it, it emitted from all four patches on the left object... but only one of the patches on the right object. And both objects were grouped together (all the splines) with the emitter applied to the entire thing.