Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Rendering a room

bighop

Ok, I'm building my house in AM, and needless the say the file size is growing and growing. As I build walls, I put the molding, light switches, vents etc, on that wall model.

Now I'm wondering if I should put every model separate so when I render I can turn off the unneeded models.

So....does AM only render what is is the camera view? Will I save render times if I turn off other models?

If this is so, I'm going to have to do some rebuilding.....bummer.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'm building my house in AM, and needless the say the file size is growing and growing. As I build walls, I put the molding, light switches, vents etc, on that wall model.

Now I'm wondering if I should put every model separate so when I render I can turn off the unneeded models.

So....does AM only render what is is the camera view? Will I save render times if I turn off other models?

If this is so, I'm going to have to do some rebuilding.....bummer.

A:M only renders what is in camera view. It does a culling process first, to determine what's in view - this is relatively quick. The render time is is more related to "what percentage of the final image screen has to be computed" -

If a resultant image has 100% of the screen filled - it will take longer than something that has 10% of the image filled. Eg. same model seen close up (fills 80% of screen) takes longer to render than same model seen at a distance (10% of screen)

Render time will go up if you are using lots of lights with lots of rays with raytracing shadows, and/or reflections, and/or complicated materials (lots of depth, fractal, fbm, etc), and/or Ambient Occlusion, and/or dense hair, and/or other particles. And/or some other things probably...(eg size of image, number of passes)

HOWEVER - you will start to find that your modeling process, ie your realtime response will start to bog down as you add patches/detail to your model and get up around 10000 +. At that point you can choose to make separate models and add them to your base model in the chor, or in an action (as action objects).

you don't have to rebuild your models

what you can do is build the whole house

then make duplicates of the model renaming them and subtracting what you don't need from that model

and shoot what you need think hollywood false fronts, backs, no roof, roof ect ect

you can also set up a choreography for your shot and make copies of that and swap your other models

a real time saver for doing multiple shots