sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

terrain

Master chief

OK here my problem i have created a image to be used with AM's terrain maker and it will successfully load in and build the terrain but when i try and view surfaces AM crashes. i have uploaded the picture listed below

my ultimate goal is to have a map that a army or two of robots Can fly , drive.... what ever , so it has to be pretty big but i was sure that my computer should be able to handle that since the cp count shouldn't have been that big

land.bmp

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

When creating terrain in A:M you have to be wary of patch count. Its not like other programs that can cerate a 10 million poly terrain. The best way to make terrain is to create use a low res heightmap (256x256) (Use AM Terraform here: http://www.tachyonburst.com/software/amterraform/). Then use the highres (2k+) heightmap for displacement.

I once made a 500k patch terrain in A:M, it took ran at 5spf (Seconds PER frame) in wireframe mode, 30 spf in shaded!

See thread here: Super High Patch Terrain

A:M can render high patch counts pretty fast but it takes it a while to "Compute patch visibility"

It also depends on how you texture it and the use of fog and other atmospheric effects that add the realism and depth.

Photoman

In addition to what photoman said, terrains seem to work best if the grid splines are no closer than 100cm apart. I would recommend making them 500cm - 1000 cm apart. Then manually add resolution in specific areas where the camera gets close to the terrain or where characters are walking/standing.