Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

AM Complete Guide Question Chapter 4

JohnWayne

My question comes from pages 141 & 142 from the guide. I don't really understand what rotating a single CP (the flour sack's top most corners, I'm assuming) is suppose to acheive.

Is there a posted example of this? or possibly someone can explain the desired results in a little more detail. I realize muscle motion is an advanced topic, but I want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly before I move on. TIA.

John

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow
My question comes from pages 141 & 142 from the guide. I don't really understand what rotating a single CP (the flour sack's top most corners, I'm assuming) is suppose to acheive.

Is there a posted example of this? or possibly someone can explain the desired results in a little more detail. I realize muscle motion is an advanced topic, but I want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly before I move on. TIA.

John

I dont' have the latest version of that book. could you quote a sentence or two?

Hey Guys,

I'd be happy to quote the book if it will help you assist me.

(From the A:M Complete Guide c2007 p141 & p142)

"Change to Muscle mode (press F7) and switch to a front view. Select the CP that makes up the tip of the ear with the Group tool. This is so that the Rotate Manipulator will move just this control point. Selecting a single control point, while allowing the manipulators to be used, will not have its rotation affected from changes to the pivot. (A group, even though it contains the same single CP, will).

Once the group is selected, bring up the rotation manipulator and position its pivot at the base of the ear. Check from the side view to be certain that the pivot is lined up there as well. Now step through the animation frame by frame: Look for points where the motion of the torso is drastic, moving from front to back over the course of just a few frames. At the start of such motion, rotate the ear CP opposite to the motion of the body, so that it appears to lag behind the rest of the torso."

I can also post the project file if needed. Thanks Again.

John

• Hash Fellow
(From the A:M Complete Guide c2007 p141 & p142)

"Change to Muscle mode (press F7) and switch to a front view. Select the CP that makes up the tip of the ear with the Group tool. This is so that the Rotate Manipulator will move just this control point. Selecting a single control point, while allowing the manipulators to be used, will not have its rotation affected from changes to the pivot. (A group, even though it contains the same single CP, will).

Once the group is selected, bring up the rotation manipulator and position its pivot at the base of the ear. Check from the side view to be certain that the pivot is lined up there as well. Now step through the animation frame by frame: Look for points where the motion of the torso is drastic, moving from front to back over the course of just a few frames. At the start of such motion, rotate the ear CP opposite to the motion of the body, so that it appears to lag behind the rest of the torso."

important phrase highlighted.

By moving the pivot away from the on CP of that one-CP group, the axis of rotation is somewhere other than that CP. This means the CP will move around that point when you use the rotate manipulator rather than just rotate in place, which it would do if the pivot and CP where in the same spot.

He's showing that you don't have to accept the default center of a group when you do rotation maneuvers. You can move the pivot anywhere if you need the group to rotate around a special point.