Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

steering wheels

In my new scene, i am made a character, and a car, please could some one explain the best way on how to constrain th hand the steering wheels and the car to a path.

As in the hand in the steering whels has to be in ciclar rotation.

any help please

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

In my new scene, i am made a character, and a car, please could some one explain the best way on how to constrain th hand the steering wheels and the car to a path.

As in the hand in the steering whels has to be in ciclar rotation.

any help please

Sounds like a job for "Kinetic Constraint" Check the manual for "The Door Is Stuck" tutorial.

[Edit] Kelly's suggestion might work too. It all depends on what kind of rig you have in your character. If you try the Kinematic Constraint, you might have to apply it to the forearm bone instead of the hand bone.

Constraining the hand to the steering wheel:

This depends a little on what kind of rig is installed in the character.

Basically, you put a bone in the steering wheel at the place where you want the hand to stick.

Make the bone a child of the bone that turns the steering wheel.

Constrain the hand bone to "Translate To" and "Orient Like" the bone in the steering wheel.

Move/Rotate the hand bone with the Translate and Rotate manipulators until it looks like it is grabbing the steering wheel.

If your rig has IK arms, place the constraint on the IK null instead of the hand bone.

Another option, if your rig doesn't have IK arms and your hand bone seperates from the arm whenever you turn the wheel:

Place the hand somewhere on the wheel.

Place a constraint on the main steering wheel bone to "Aim Roll At" the hand bone.

Animate the hand bone manually.

The steering wheel will turn whenever the hand moves because the roll handle on the steering wheel's bone will always point at the hand.

For constraining the car to a path, look at the "Walk and Wave" tut in TaoAM or look at the "Basic Constraints" tut in the Tutorials forum.

The steering wheel should rotate (the bone's roll handle will always point at the hand)