Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Thought this was funny

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch out for really really fast movements or movements over even short distances in one frame. Hard for AM to determine where the hair should be. The hair is penetrating something "between" frames when no collision detection has had time to take place.

The same thing happened when I used cloth and physics. The action was happening so fast that collision detection didn't have time to do a check. It was like the speed of light. ;)

In an extreme case you could slow it down when simulating, stretch the time of the action and maybe make the hair "heavier" or slower to react. and then compress the the key frames afterwards, I did that and it worked great. Or turn off the hair "movement" for a few frames of fast motion then turn it back on or actually delete keys for the hair. I also did that with cloth and physics. The action happens so fast you don't notice a thing.

-vern

Remember that you don't have to just accept what a simulation produces. Once you have those keys you can do whatever you want with them.

I had to make cloth "settle" better after a simulation. It kept jittering at the end even though nothing was moving. The cloth was lying on dozens of cloth deflector objects and just didn't stop twitching for ages and ages. What I did was to delete a bunch of keys at gradual key frames before the "last" key I wanted to keep. I used the existing spline key motion and "softened" it by removing huge bunches of keys. I slid them along the time line till it looked "natural". Then the cloth gradually settled and stopped. Worked like a charm. I used the majority of what the simulation produced and then used it in "big chunks" to tweak it. I didn't have to actually key individual points (I did though on 20 frames. Just 20 frames and about 50 cps. Not hard).

I don't animate hair much yet so I don't know how AM puts in keys for the motion. It could mean you would have to bake the action. Cloth is very straight forward and just keys every frame. A warning though, selecting keys for cloth is very slow on my machine. Deleting keys can take some time... that's a ton of stuff. I don't know if the same applies to hair, just thought I would point that out.

-vern