Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Dynamic constraint "speed" changes?

heyvern

I'm so confused. I created a dynamic chain for an electrical cable. I have a streak emitter attached to the end that shoots out sparks. I did this in s separate choreography and project. Exported the chor and imported that chor into another chor in a different project.

I didn't change anything after importing. Everything is the same in the dynamic settings. Now the dynamic chain swings really really slow. At least 50% slower than the original. In the original I had timed the streak sparks for certain points as the wire is swinging. Now they don't line up. I'm curious what might cause this. Does the dynamic constraint rely on the "speed" of the playback? The final project file is quite "loaded" and so real time playback is slower than the original. I did the whole thing with simulating the springs... uh... crud. I could just bake the action in the original chor and save it out. Then the key frames will be the same and won't change on import... hmm...

Still though a valid question as to why this might happen.

-vern

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha! Weird.

Here's the scoop. For some reason turning on "Draw particles and hair" causes the dynamic constraint to go twice as fast. Seriously. It speeds it up. If I turn off draw particles hair in the render settings suddenly the whole thing goes zippity doo. What the heck? Are the streaks actually exerting some "force" on the dynamic constraint? I don't think so because the chain goes real slow... like through molasses. When the particles are turned on it follows the same motion but in half the frames... very odd.

-vern

Here's the scoop. For some reason turning on "Draw particles and hair" causes the dynamic constraint to go twice as fast. Seriously. It speeds it up. If I turn off draw particles hair in the render settings suddenly the whole thing goes zippity doo. What the heck? Are the streaks actually exerting some "force" on the dynamic constraint? I don't think so because the chain goes real slow... like through molasses. When the particles are turned on it follows the same motion but in half the frames... very odd.

I have experienced a similar thing - altho I believe IRC, that I interpreted dynamic constraints interferring with the hair dynamics - they didn't play well with each other. And the effect would change (get worse) the more passes one rendered with. Ie the hair dynamics would change with each pass.

The real-time display of dynamic constraints doesn't always look the same as the rendered results. BUT I believe if you "simulate" first before rendering you might have more consistent rendered results - I don't really know as I gave up with trying to make it work ....

Yes, there is some sort of conflict with a dynamic constraint and streaks/sprite emitters. The real time display was inaccurate which caused me to make incorrect decisions ;). I got around all this by getting the dynamic constraint right first, simulating springs, removing the constraint THEN turning on particles, got the particles right and BINGO success.

My next option was to try using a Newton "chain" somehow for the cable but... ick... wasn't looking forward to that. Alls well that ends well. The effect was very short but very... "effective". It reminds me of all those fx guys who spend days or weeks doing one shot that lasts a few seconds.

-vern