sprockets Live Answer Time Demo Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Confused by Springs

TigerGuy

When I activate the Cloth Wizard in a choreography, it works pretty well. When I activate the Cloth Wizard in a different choreography, with the same model, the cloth just bounces all over the place or something, when I simulate.

I notice that each time I use the Cloth Wizard, a new Spring System folder appears in the Objects folder; I assume this means I can reuse this one spring system in other choreographies, instead of clicking "Cloth Wizard" every time, but when I put a model with that spring system into a different choreography, I can't figure out how to use the system.

However this is done, I presume you can do the same with spring systems you create from scratch (which is done in an action or choreography window, right?).

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow
I assume this means I can reuse this one spring system in other choreographies, instead of clicking "Cloth Wizard" every time,

I had never thought of it that manner and I'm doubtful it is meant to work that way. Anyone?

I think if you find cloth wizard settings that work well in one instance... remember them ( to paper?) and use them as a starting point with the cloth wizard for your next outing.

I assume this means I can reuse this one spring system in other choreographies, instead of clicking "Cloth Wizard" every time,

I had never thought of it that manner and I'm doubtful it is meant to work that way. Anyone?

I think if you find cloth wizard settings that work well in one instance... remember them ( to paper?) and use them as a starting point with the cloth wizard for your next outing.

I suppose so, but supposing you make your own spring system, like for a fat guy's stomach? If a spring system has already been made, it doesn't show in any choreography created afterwards. It doesn't even allow you to click that spring mode button (or whatever it's called), unless you activate the Cloth Wizard and start a new spring system.

Also, to keep cloth effects in future choreographies from messing up, you'll probably have to delete the previous spring system first, but then the simulation in the previous choreography is lost (So you'll want to hope you've rendered it already).

Thanks for responding. If I can't go with reusing spring systems, I'll just go with your suggestion of writing down the cloth settings.

• Hash Fellow

I suppose so, but supposing you make your own spring system, like for a fat guy's stomach?

Typically, people have been doing that sort of thing with dynamic constraints. See the "Hunter" vid on AMFilms

If a spring system has already been made, it doesn't show in any choreography created afterwards. It doesn't even allow you to click that spring mode button (or whatever it's called), unless you activate the Cloth Wizard and start a new spring system.

Also, to keep cloth effects in future choreographies from messing up, you'll probably have to delete the previous spring system first, but then the simulation in the previous choreography is lost (So you'll want to hope you've rendered it already).

I'm very unsure of what you mean by this description. You may need to show an explicit example of what you are trying to do. I'm thinking maybe you are using the wrong tool for the wrong effect.

Thanks for responding. If I can't go with reusing spring systems, I'll just go with your suggestion of writing down the cloth settings.

PS: it occurs to me that you dont' need to write down cloth settings on paper because cloth setting are something you set in a cloth "Material" which is saveable as a file and re-useable. Right?

I suppose so, but supposing you make your own spring system, like for a fat guy's stomach?

Typically, people have been doing that sort of thing with dynamic constraints. See the "Hunter" vid on AMFilms

If a spring system has already been made, it doesn't show in any choreography created afterwards. It doesn't even allow you to click that spring mode button (or whatever it's called), unless you activate the Cloth Wizard and start a new spring system.

I'm very unsure of what you mean by this description. You may need to show an explicit example of what you are trying to do. I'm thinking maybe you are using the wrong tool for the wrong effect.

PS: it occurs to me that you dont' need to write down cloth settings on paper because cloth setting are something you set in a cloth "Material" which is saveable as a file and re-useable. Right?

Well, I would give a more specific example, but I'm unable to use version 15 of Animation Master right now; it's hard to explain, but basically, I'm waiting for Support to tell me how to get an activation code for the update I downloaded.

I'm attaching a picture to show what happens with Cloth Wizard in version 10.5. The only difference from version 15 is that the cloth effects don't screw up in either of the choreographies demonstrated, aside from some possibly adjustable collision problems.

By the way, how do I use cloth as a material? Also, the dynamic constraint option for anything but clothes sounds good, but is there any way to program collision of any kind?

• Hash Fellow

(I don't see a picture.)

the cloth simulator in V13 and later is not the same as the one in V10.5

There are tech talks you can watch on dynamic constraints and cloth.

I've had good success with the new cloth simulator. I don't agree that it is inferior to the one in v10.5.

Physical simulations like cloth ARE time consuming to get right because there are so many options that must be set right of specific situations

(I don't see a picture.)

the cloth simulator in V13 and later is not the same as the one in V10.5

There are tech talks you can watch on dynamic constraints and cloth.

I've had good success with the new cloth simulator. I don't agree that it is inferior to the one in v10.5.

Physical simulations like cloth ARE time consuming to get right because there are so many options that must be set right of specific situations

I thought I did attach a picture. I don't know why it's not showing up. I'll try attaching it to this post.post-12457-1228318988_thumb.jpg

Ah. Looks like that worked. I just didn't understand the attachment system as well before.

Thanks for the tech talks, and the cloth simulation you did looks perfect.

• Hash Fellow

This is where I don't see the advantage of re-using a cloth object after it has been simulated.

All the motion and folding and stretching is baked in at that point.

But you're on v10.5. The current cloth is quite different; there is no "spring system" in the PWS like there is in 10.5.

Another problem for you, unfortunately, is that there will be no one here who is an expert on 10.5 cloth. It's not in the current versions and the new cloth has been much more successful.

This is where I don't see the advantage of re-using a cloth object after it has been simulated.

All the motion and folding and stretching is baked in at that point.

But you're on v10.5. The current cloth is quite different; there is no "spring system" in the PWS like there is in 10.5.

Another problem for you, unfortunately, is that there will be no one here who is an expert on 10.5 cloth. It's not in the current versions and the new cloth has been much more successful.

I've been using Version 15 or higher, but now I've upgraded it, and I need an activation code I can't find. In other words, I can't use my latest version right now. That's why I used pictures of the older version I had, 10.5.

• Hash Fellow
I've been using Version 15 or higher, but now I've upgraded it, and I need an activation code I can't find.

e-mail hash at the same address you got the code from originally.

In other words, I can't use my latest version right now. That's why I used pictures of the older version I had, 10.5.
If they weren't so different it might get you something, but time spent on v 10.5 cloth is probably not time well spent. It wasn't bad but not enough of what you learn using it will be transferable to the new cloth.

Get that v15 code! B)

edit: I forgot the "not" in the above sentence. :o

, but time spent on v 10.5 cloth is probably not time well spent. It wasn't bad but enough of what you learn using it will be transferable to the new cloth.

DITTO. V15 is far, far superior with the SimCloth... I can't even recommend the V10 cloth sim...