Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Scale Compensation for Toon Rendered Lines?

Hello, I'm treating to render in Toon mode and I think I have put all the correct setting in the Rendering Options, Camera, and Model Surface Properties, so Lines are showed in renders but I have some Scale Compensation problem or something like that, cause when the camera moves near or far of the model, it seems like if the Toon line always maintain his... same width??? So when the camera is near, the lines show very "thin" and when the camera is far the line is very "thick", and... How can be possible??? Well, as I say I must be missing something cause it's simply not possible get a decent/coherent line all the time in this way, so... HELP! And thanks :)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

Toon lines don't scale by themselves (perhaps because real hand-drawn toonlines don't get thinner as the object is drawn smaller) but I recall one of the first examples for the use of "expressions" was to use it to scale toon-line thickness.

I don't recall the exact details but it can be done.

Well, thak you for your answer, I have been looking for that Expression solution over the forum but (although I have learned a lot of other things meantime :)) I have not been able to find it... I have found (instead) THIS curiously "similar" post form 2004 but nothing more related to this Toon and Expression issue, I'll treat to study now some After Effects expression with which I modified the layers opacity based on the camera distance to see what can I make sense of it, anyway any info related with all this it'll be very welcomed cause, unfortunately, I don't know so much about Expressioning into A:M... BYE!

• Hash Fellow

If you are not mathematically or expression inclined you can animate the thickness manually with keyframes.

Either way, it is a "Show more than drivers" situation.

toon render with thickness scaled:

toonlinescaling.mov

(dont' ask me why the shadow pops out.)

PRJ for above:

toonlinescale.zip