Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

First Tsurugi Sword

Taking a break from my portfolio (well...... I've just been rendering for a week straight now) and I decided to have some fun and try to model for a change. and here's the result....

post-4389-1207378085_thumb.png

First Tsurugi

For those of you not into Video Games or Anime (I like to hope were all at least into animation here at least :D )

This is the sword Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy 7 uses in the CG movie Advent Children.post-4389-1207378073_thumb.png (picture from the movie)

Thought it would be something cool to model. I rigged it to work just like the sword in the movie. Six swords combining into one. I posted a quick demo just to give you an idea how the model works.

post-4389-1207378430_thumb.jpg

tsword.mov

Two questions though. I picked up some where that using reflection maps as aposed to actual reflectivity is suppose to save render time. I tested both ways and saw no difference. Is render time really saved?

I set up the rig with nulls as targets for the placement of the sword when the need to animate it locking into place. I want them to be visible but not able to be manipulated. I made a constraint that limited all manipulators to off but if I am working in the Choregraphy I still can select them. Is the pose constraint the wrong way to go?

My splinemanship needs work I know; any suggestions are always wanted along with the regular C&C.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know nothing of the story behind it but that's an interesting gizmo you got there.

Yeah I love most of Square Enix's concept and character designs. the hard part was making everything fit. I had to cheat in some areas of the design so its not an exact replica. I wish I could get the wireframes and turnarounds from the actual movie.