Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Curtains opening

Hi,

I'm working on a theatre set. The red curtains open.

The curtains are animated using cloth simulation in A:M 13.

I almost got it nailed, but not entirely. So much parameters, I'm tweaking my ass off. Each time I have to tweak, simulate, tweak, simulate...

Is there anybody who knows how to make these curtains move like the real thing?

I'll post my curtain-project. It has the animated curtain. Just run the cloth simulation in the chor and see how far I got it. Never mind the missing decals.

Please help me make this work. Thanks!

Curtain2.prj

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took a different approach to this task once...

I modeled the curtain... a repetitive 'S' form...like a curtain... then I applied bones vertically, one for each 'pleat' in the curtain. I then animated them opening and closing in an action and applied dynamic constraints to give them life. A cheat.

i downloaded the file and played around with it a bit... you get a bit better result if you select lower values for the stiffness-parameters,maybe a bit more air-drag... but the thing that bothered me (and i couldn´t figure out how to solve that problem) was that the curtain always looked a bit too stiff at the bottom, the bow is in the wrong direction, the tips at the bottom would have to have a delay, the top has to move first and then the tips... maybe you can ad a second non-clothed-hand-animated area in the middle of the curtain to get that delay... but then you can animate all by hand i guess...

Also, you can often get better results on any type of Cloth Sim by animating the cloth at half the speed you want. Or, if it's already animated, make the action or chor action twice as long as it is supposed to be. The run the cloth sim. Then delete every other keyframe from the sim. Then shrink the action or chor action back down to its proper length.