Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Converting OBJ to MDL

DJBREIT

I have look around the forum and thought I had seen something on this but I can not find it. After some searching I decided it would be quicker to just post the question.

I have a model in. .OBJ and I would like to convert it to .MDL but the A:M program keeps freezing. Dose anyone know how to get around the problem?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you search the forums, you may find a hxt that will do the job without freezing. To be honest though, converting an obj to a mdl is going to create a right rats nest of splines. Poly models have way more "lines" than spline models and have no biases.

Importing OBJs is a pain.

First, it takes forever. The more edges and verts that need to be converted so splines and CPs, the longer it will take. Sometimes, it takes so long, you'd swear the computer was locked up.

Second, the result will require reworking. The splines that get created will not be laid out in the continuous fashion that creates smooth models in AM. You'll have to figure out how to reconfigure them so that you can keep the shape, and also keep the splines laid out correctly.

Third, materials will get messed up when you do all this reworking.

You are better of importing it as a prop, but only if you don't need to change it at all and can live with simple transform animation.

If you need to animate it with bones, make good rotoscopes of the OBJ in it's original program and use those to rebuild the model from scratch.

Thanks guys

I did solve my on problem

I was trying to make a foot for the Miki model . But my two previous attempt where at less to say horrible. And the OBJ model I was trying to convert had the foot in a bad angle for a rotoscope. But I found coppers tutorial on "how to make a foot" and it got my in the ballpark.

It seem pdaley was right I just had to let the program run for some time. At lease now I can get a good rotoscope off of it for my next try.