Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

bone restraints, and a couple more things!

breakthelocke

I know I post a new topic at least once a day.. just wanted to say thankyou! to everyone that has answered- I am learning so fast, mostly because I get quick and accurate responses from everyone :)

So my newest questions:

1. I need to know how to restrain my bones on my character from going past (ex.: elbow overextending, head turning all the way around) I think once I can get that done, my model will really be animatable.

2. in what window (model, action, etc.) can I add constraints in, so that every time I import my model into an action or choreography, I don't have to add them in again? Thanks!!

EDIT

3. I just applied materials to my model for the 5th time, and later I opened up a new action, imported the model, and all his materials are gone. I also saved an action with all the constraints and everything, and when I opened it up later, the model was gone. :(

that's all for now :)

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I need to know how to restrain my bones on my character from going past (ex.: elbow overextending, head turning all the way around) I think once I can get that done, my model will really be animatable.

You can use an Euler limit to limit rotation. I have an example arm rig posted here that you can tear apart to see how it works. Squetchy Sam uses that set up...the latest versions of him are linked on the Wiki page.

For some rigging tutorials, try here, here, here, here, here and here.

As for limiting the head rotation, I never do that...I don't think it's necessary.

2. in what window (model, action, etc.) can I add constraints in, so that every time I import my model into an action or choreography, I don't have to add them in again?

Instead of making the constraints in an Action, make them in a Pose. Right mouse click on the name of your model in the PWS (Project Work Space), select "New/Pose/percentage" or "New/Pose/On/Off", set up your constraints in the Pose that opens then name that Pose in the "Properties/User Properties" of the model and turn the Pose on. Once you save your model, that Pose will become part of it.

3. I just applied materials to my model for the 5th time, and later I opened up a new action, imported the model, and all his materials are gone. I also saved an action with all the constraints and everything, and when I opened it up later, the model was gone. :(

The saved Action doesn't have the model embedded in it. Open your model, then open the Action. If your model is the only one loaded, it will automatically be used by the Action. If you have more than one model loaded, AM will ask you which one to use for the Action.

Hope that helps.