Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

vista!!!

SERVOLOMAGNO

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

I've been running v13/v14 and now v15 on Vista with very few problems.

The issues you'll want to look out for are related to graphics cards (some drivers aren't or won't be updated by the manufacturer) and RAM (the more the better) I recommend 2 Gigabytes but only have 1GB.

I've been quite happy with A:M with Vista but for maximum stability and performance Windows XP still has Vista beat. Time will tell how long this will remain the case especially as new drivers for graphics cards are released.

My 2 cents.

Thought I'd add my experience to the topic. I've had many problems with Vista, but AM is running well on the system. One problem though is using Quicktime, couldn't render or export renders. There is a fix now on Quicktimes service site, download it and that problems solved.

And keep checking with your graphics card provider, just downloaded an updated driver that helped a couple of issues.

Im now a Windows Vista Premium 64 user:

In AM... selecting CPs with a rectangle causes to fill this area with a blank color, this happens with Aero active, changing theme to Vista Clasic doesn´t happens.

Does it happen to you? I want to report this posible bug.

Sorry my english.

vista and video cards don't yet work perfectly together. try upgrading your video driver.

i'm running vista x64 myself, and might just kill aero until nvidia/hp gets their act together and updates my little notebook's drivers.

-jon

• Admin
Waiting for a new driver... im using Vista without aero, thats works fine.

Closing down the Aero aspects of Vista seems to be the interim fix for most people.

The older the program the more oddness I seem to find in a variety of programs I use on Vista.

One of the oddest things I've encountered in Vista with A:M is where A:M rendered or saved files to a specific directory but Vista refused to acknowledge they were there. This could be a very bad problem if Vista doesn't really write them to disk. I haven't seen that specific problem again but refreshing file folders to get accurate file listings for me is still the norm.

If I had Windows XP on the road I'd probably use that.

But... Vista works. I still need to turn all the bloat-ware off.

All the programs HP installed at the factory take entirely too much memory.

I keep searching for updated drivers for my graphics card as I find the time but the best has yet to be found. I'm using an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950. The driver for 945 works better.

When refresh problems persist a switch from OpenGL to Direct3D and back or vice versa (Within TOOLS/OPTIONS on the Global tab) generally works.

Of possible interest also:

Vista was placing A:M and the ~E5000* file in what is termed 'virtualization' mode automatically. When I removed that setting I got better performance.

You can find this setting by going to the processes (Ctrl/Alt/Delete) and right clicking on the process.

Note: ~E5000* is not the name of that process but should be fairly close (I can't recall the proper name right now). Its a process that keep A:M running stable. If you terminate the process A:M immediately will go *POOF*. Good to know if you ever need to terminate A:M immediately I suppose. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

This thread saved me from going completely bonkers! :blink:

Turning the Areo desktop from Premium to Basic mode, does indeed solve some of the glitches I was experiencing. This includes the greyed out selection box , when trying to select cp's!

Might want to "Sticky" this one somewhere, before christmas rolls up on us and there is a flood of new Vista users.

Its good to be back!

Zzzippo :wub: