Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Help for a returning newbie

TommyDAQ

Well, I guess I'm a newbie (again). I started using A:M with V1 back in 1994 and used it very regularly though '98 then less frequently through 2000 and only occassionally until 2002. That was the last I had upgraded and the last version I currently have (until my '07 upgrade arrives :) ).

Anyway, I've been away from it for so long, I totally forget the ins and outs and nuances of this delicate software package. As I make my way through rudimentary modeling and lighting, it's starting to come back to me but it seems I've run into a problem.

First, I'm working on a 2.3Ghz Duo Core MacBookPro running Paralells (as the '02 version isn't available to run natively in OS X).

I had been modeling a rocket. I had been trying to remember how to get the CP info to display in real-world coordinates, as opposed to relative position. Out of curiosity, I right clicked in the properties window and selected "New Relationship" or something like that and the software disappeared without warning.

I hadn't saved, but didn't mind rebuilding from scratch. I relaunched the application and inserted a new model. When I went to adjust my view, I must have pressed something (but I don't know what) and the grid disappeared. I went through everything I could to get it back but have not been able to get it to reappear. I tried modeling, and though the CPs are being created in the workspace (at least I think they are), they are not showing up. I tried opening an earlier project (just a sphere on the stage w/ adjusted lighting) - same thing. Nothing shows up on the stage - no grid, no CPs. However, when I render it, it shows up fine. If I select the sphere in the project workspace, I see a bounding box, but nothing else.

Does anyone have any idea how I can restore my panel display?

Thanks,

TommyDAQ

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a very serious graphic-driver-problem... First I would try to change the driver under "option->global". Direct3d or OpenGL... whatever you are using currently... Be sure you are using the newest graphic-driver for your system.

*Fuchur*

PS: Grid and Co can be activated in the "Draw"-toolbar. Just click for example next to the play-bar at the bottom of the screen with the right mousebutton and choose "toolbar->draw" (I recommend to activate "View" too...

I am not on a Mac so I cant help you much more... "New relationship" has nothing to do with CP-positions or so... it is used for poses, smartskins, etc. but just start with the TAO to learn more about these things... relationships arent necessary for the first steps with A:M...

Welcome back. The "show manipulator properties" panel on the top right of the main toolbar will show absolute positions. Pressing Shift+3 will toggle the grid.

For the display problem, try switching from Opengl to DirectX and back. Then make sure your graphics card drivers are up to date. If you haven't made any big changes to the interface, you could try resetting all the tools etc located in the Help menu. You might have something like the hide tool on or something. Of course, you know that if you press the zero key, you'll be able to see the splines being made....not if you press the 9 key (on the main keyboard.)

I assume you're using v10 so the crash probably won't happen in the new version when it arrives.

Sounds like a very serious graphic-driver-problem... First I would try to change the driver under "option->global". Direct3d or OpenGL... whatever you are using currently... Be sure you are using the newest graphic-driver for your system.

Tried that... nothing. Thanks for the info about the relationships - I remember that stuff now. Like I said, everything is slowly coming back.

Welcome back. The "show manipulator properties" panel on the top right of the main toolbar will show absolute positions.

Thanks - another tool I had forgotten about.

Pressing Shift+3 will toggle the grid.

doesn't work

For the display problem, try switching from Opengl to DirectX and back. Then make sure your graphics card drivers are up to date. If you haven't made any big changes to the interface, you could try resetting all the tools etc located in the Help menu. You might have something like the hide tool on or something. Of course, you know that if you press the zero key, you'll be able to see the splines being made....not if you press the 9 key (on the main keyboard.)

nothing seems to be working. I'll probably try a reinstall. Luckily, I've just started customizing my menu settings so I won't lose too much there.

I assume you're using v10 so the crash probably won't happen in the new version when it arrives.

I'm using v9.5. I've order A:M2007 but it'll be a few days before that arrives. What is the current version?

I've also sent my problem to Will P, Steve Sappington, and Ken Baer so if anyone knows about the issue, one of those guys will, I just probably won't find out until tomorrow.

Anyway, thanks for the tips and advice guys. I always liked this A:M community. It will be good to be back.

:) So...

I did an uninstall/reinstall. Launched it and still no grid or CPs.

Switched drivers (AGAIN). Still no grid or CPs.

Exited and relaunced. Still no grid or CPs.

Switched graphics driver BACK to OpenGL one more time, and things showed up!

Anyway, back to family things for now, but again, thanks for the advice guys!