sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

How can I do this?

Geophizz

I have a choreography where the Knight character is hanging from a wall, and he needs to swing his body up over the top. I've studied videos of "urban" climbers, who climb walls, buiding etc, and what they do is swing their legs so that they can hook one leg over the top of the wall. To do that the pivot point is centered at about the neck and shoulders.

No matter what I've tried, I can't get the knight to swing properly. I have the hands constrained to the wall so that they don't move during the swing. I've tried swinging the model bone in an arc, and moving the feet and hips in an arc, both to no avail. Most of the time, the hands get really screwed up, and at best, the swing doesn't look at all natural.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks

Mark Stoughton

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try adding a new null target at the pivot point you want, then constraint the model bone to it using translate and orient like constrains (compensate mode ON). Then rotating the null will move the model in an arc at the pivot point you provided with the null, animate the legs as need.

Just a thought - have you turned the balance sliders off? (properties window, break open the rig) They greatly speed up making walk cycles but get in the way of some other things, especially when the feet go above the hips.

Maybe you have some video reference or screenshots? Perhaps you might need to make a specific root bone(s) with the start at the head and end at the feet.

The reference video thgat I'm using is at: http://www.urbanclimbermag.tv/videos/displ...mp;ObjMgrIC=699

The particular climb that I am using is about 2/3 of the way through. I'm posing a few screenshots here too.

I think that the null idea is what I'm looking for, but none of the references that I have (TOAM, Tech Ref, both editions of Paries and Rogers books) show a good way to add a null to a model. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good tutorial, or post some instructions here?

Thanks

Mark

swing.bmp