Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Need a push in the right direction for a Topographical Map

BrianJG

I am attemping to build a 3-d topographical map with specific terrain and colors at each tier.

I attached a simple jpg I made in paint that is the rough 2-d version of what I am trying to do.

I think I can get the model built with these tiers (blue being the lowest and high the highest), but I'm not sure how to get the coloring right to match the rough sketch.

I haven't used A:M in about 8 years (1999) so I am trying to remember all the different ways to do things.

If this is an really silly question and you feel that I should know better because of a tutorial somewhere, just let me know where it is, I haven't been able to find anything like this yet.

Thanks in advance

Brian

post-10727-1174653211_thumb.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can of course make each layer a group and assign a color to it, a decal may be messy in this case.

A two minute video tutorial (5M)

Bruce,

You are awesome! It took me a minute to realize that you made that movie specifically to answer my question.

This is one of the main reasons why I love A:M, the users love to support each other.

Watching that movie started jogging my memory for the shortcuts and basics on how to do stuff.

Between being out for 8 years and a wonderfully enhanced version, I am playing catch up (in a good way).

Here is what I have managed to figure out so far, I have a few little tweaks still...

Oh and if anyone knows how to do what Ron suggested, please let us know! That would be really cool!

Thanks

Brian

post-10727-1174784951_thumb.jpg

Give this MAT a try. It's basically 4 nested Gradients. You'll need to adjust the start and stop values (I just set the Y)

Gradient - start 10 stop 5

Red

Gradient - start 5 stop 0

Orange

Gradient - start 0 stop -5

Yellow

Gradient - start -5 stop -10

DarkBlue

LightBlue

After a little more thought - the second BetterGradient.Mat is made of 9 nested Gradients. 5 for the colors and 4 to compress the transitions between colors.

post-1360-1174792320.gif

MultipleGrad.zip

post-1360-1174794121_thumb.jpg

BetterGradient.zip

Give this MAT a try. It's basically 4 nested Gradients. You'll need to adjust the start and stop values (I just set the Y)

Gradient - start 10 stop 5

Red

Gradient - start 5 stop 0

Orange

Gradient - start 0 stop -5

Yellow

Gradient - start -5 stop -10

DarkBlue

LightBlue

After a little more thought - the second BetterGradient.Mat is made of 9 nested Gradients. 5 for the colors and 4 to compress the transitions between colors.

Thanks!

That is really cool, I'll try it out and let you all know what it looks like.

You guys rock!