sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Path#1 => Choreo Action => Path#2

derwok

Hi Splinesmen!

I think this must be a rather simple question. Im using AM 13r on Windows XP.

I just want an object to follow a path#1 (I know of Ease and Enforcement) - so this works great.

At the end of path #1 my object has to do some "strange" movement, where a path is not apropiate. So I append a normal choreo action.

Now my object "lands" somewere - and now following a different, second path (lets say path#2) would be the easiest for me.

But I've no success in doing the last step.

A added the second path.

I set a path constraint on object with path#2 as target.

But now matter how I edit Ease & Enforcement: MY object does NOT move along the path.

In fact is does not MOVE AT ALL.

I attached my project (in the state where the 2nd constraint is not yet added).

Must be a stupid mistake on my side... - who can help?

Thanks for a little "walk-through".

Wolfram.

2Path_Cube.prj

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Wolfram,

Have you had a look at the Path Ease (walk and then wave) video tutorial at: http://www.hash.com/vm/

Its down near the bottom of the page.

That has helped a lot of folks out.

I can't check your project out right now but I'm sure someone else will assist you.

Just realized you are looking more for path to path jumping too.

There have been several posts on the subject here in the forum.

I'll try to ferret one of them out.

Wolfram,

Have you had a look at the Path Ease (walk and then wave) video tutorial at: http://www.hash.com/vm/

Its down near the bottom of the page.

That has helped a lot of folks out.

I can't check your project out right now but I'm sure someone else will assist you.

Just realized you are looking more for path to path jumping too.

There have been several posts on the subject here in the forum.

I'll try to ferret one of them out.

Hi Rodney,

yes I've done the walk&wave Tut and I know the purpose of Ease and Enforcement.

But my problem is: Path#1 works as aspected. Only If I then (afterwards in the timeline) try to constraint the same object to a different path (path#2) - there simply nothing happens: The object wont follow the path#2...

Maybe someone has an idea?

Or someone could tell me (based on my attached project file) what steps are necessary to make the cube follow the path#2 AFTER the choreo action.

Wolfram.

I didn't check your project, but just briefly tried a test myself. Paths can be a pain sometimes - there might be some funnies going on with chor ranges being reset, and which chor action the path constraints got set in, and it what order. Can be touchy...

So because I'm lazy, & to avoid the hassle of figuring it out perhaps...there might be a workaround for your situation:

1) can you split this part of your animation into 2 separate chor files ? (not 2 chor actions). First chor has object on path 1 and then does the non path action. 2nd chor file has object moving on 2nd path

or

2) 1 chor file where you have 1 path (that is actually the 2 paths combined with extra distance in the middle) - Manipulate the ease & enforcement values so that object follows path until reaches end of path part A (set ease value=end of part A, enforcement still 100) - then enforcement =0 -, probably will have to monkey with objects positioning to not see a blip, do the unpath part - then set enforcement =100 again, ease = some new number = start of path part B.

And submit A:M report if you really think you have all the chor ranges, ease, enforcements, etc all correctly set.

• Admin

I like Nancy's solution but then again I'm lazy too.

If it looks as you intend it in the final product thats got to be one of the easiest ways.

Some of these type of shots look better with a cut from the camera. Assuming it works better than a continuous shot.

In such cases render only what you need (frame range-wise) and then piece them together.

I like Nancy's solution but then again I'm lazy too.

If it looks as you intend it in the final product thats got to be one of the easiest ways.

Some of these type of shots look better with a cut from the camera. Assuming it works better than a continuous shot.

In such cases render only what you need (frame range-wise) and then piece them together.

Hi all,

thanks for your answers.

Actually my little Cube-Example is not my real project. It's only a stripped-down version of my problem.

In my real project I want a plane to start (on a path#1) until takeoff. Then do some looping and join with two other planes, where looping and joining is more easy as a choreo pose-to-pose animation. Finally all three planes should do some "synchron dive-away". This last part would be most easy with some path animation.

So I created path#2 - But no matter how I fiddle arround with the constraint settings: The plane(s) never follow path#2.

So I created that "stripped-down" version with the cube. Maybe someone could check that out?

Because slowly I tend ti think there may be a bug in AM 13r.

Must be possible somehow to have more than one path that an object follows... I think.

Any hints still welcome.

Wolfram.