Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

dual 2 core processor

simpleyork

I'm going to be a new user of A:M in the next month just wondering if my computer will run A:M

It has a Dual 2 core Processor, Two hard drives with 500gb each, and 2gb memory

i did see that earlier version seemed to have trouble running with the dual core processor

but will it work better with the recent version of A:M?

thanx

chris

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chris -

Your computer will work fine with the dual core processor and A:M 13, however, it will only work with a single processor. I believe multi-processor support is included in v.14, but not v.13. You will still be able to use v.13 without a problem.

Anyone else out there, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks.

- Michael

But be aware that v14 is in alpha for now... download it at "Latests Infos"-Forum at the main-forum-view.

It can handle multiprocessors (up to 32 Cores) but I would use it for my projects now... you can however install both of them, modell and animate in A:M 13 and try to render in v14... but as stated: It is in alpha... so it will properly crash at some time...

*Fuchur*

Dual core only effects render time. Animating still only uses 1 core.

pertaining to that

So V14 does make good use of dual core?

Well dual core should be about 50% off, then v14 is supposed to be about 40% faster..... lets check

V13q

307-111 (71 secs)

308-110 (70 secs)

309-110 (70 secs)

V14-A5

307-21

308-20

309-21

309 is a good check

70secs X 1/2 (.5)= 35 seconds (dual core)

35 secs X 3/5 (.6)= 21 seconds (v14 40% faster- 40% faster is figured .6 not .4 because its still 60% if you subtract the 40%)

So yes dual core is being fully utilized, I can't speak for quad but I'm sure it does

The Best work around the fact that v14 is alpha is to install BOTH v13 and v14 as they go into different folders. Do all your animating in v13 then open your project through v14 and Render it there. if you get more than a minute or 2 of animation done, just do the rendering overnight. :D

If you're asking whether A:M will run at all on dual processors - yes, no problem at all.

I'm currently running v13 on my dual core. The only thing is that it won't use the two processors when rendering, only one. You can leave it rendering in one instance of A:M and continue working (on a different project) in another instance of A:M. That would be utilising the two cores.

2gb ram is good - I've recently upgraded from 1 to 2 and I notice a small improvement in performance.

Just in summary - v13 is very solid on my dual core.