Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Files

bighop

As I've been working with this program I noticed my files starting to grow. Does anyone care to share their organization method for working with Animation Master?

I notice that if I move a file the program seems like the program looses the decals. I'm trying to get a good system now, so I won't suffer in the future.

Thanks,

Andy

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy,

Usually when I am working on larger projects, I try to keep everything together. I usually break it down like this:

(Folder)Main Project

+(folder)models

+(folder)materials

+(folder)actions

+(folder)story(ie storyboards and animatics

+(folder)sounds

Once I define where my project folder is going to be, I try not to move it. If you are using models from different locations, its a good idea to resave them to your models folder in your project. This way, when you go to back everything up, you know where it all is, and if you take the project somewhere to work or show progress then you wont be bother with the "missing files" error.

Hope that helps,

Leo

Also I have a dedicated drive for my A:M stuff, so that might help you as well.

I like to keep the habit of a certain filenaming concept:

The first save of a model is Modelv1_1.mdl

For backup saving during creationtime I use the _1-part,

when the model changes while or after modeling I set the v1-part.

Is the model done, I save it to Model.mdl, this make the Model.mdl the same as the last ModelvX_X.mdl

When I start rigging, I first save the model as Model_B_v1_1.mdl, were B stand for bones.

Is the rig done, I save it again as Model.mdl, again the last Model_B is the same as the current Model_B_vX_X.mdl file.

The same principle with texturing, _T.

In some cases depending on the stage, r1 is added to the filename, were r stands for revision.

Niels.

ps.

Leo73 has a good dir-structure, I would add a dir called, finished models or work models.

[EDIT] I also have a dir called originals in the Model-dir, there I put high-resolution originals, e.g. paint-, photoshop- or gimpfiles.

Andy,

This is one of my favorite topics, much of what I do spilling over from my programming days. I looked for previous posts I’ve made on this subject but could not find them so here I go again.

Leo presents a very good simple workable file structure which will serve you well for smaller, non-collaborated projects. Beyond Leo’s folder structure (which is in fact an abbreviated version of what I use), you have some other things you might wish to consider depending on how far you wish to go…

Standard Folder Structures and Files

I have a standard project folder structure much like Leo. It is called ‘StandardizedProjectStructure003’ (003 is the version). When I start a new project I simple copy this to my wip directory renaming it the project’s name. The project folders I use are:

Actions/

Audio/

Composite/

Correspondance/

Distribution/

Maps/

Materials/

Models/

StoryBoard/

RAD/

Stills/

Sets/

Reference/

Renders/

Screen Tests/

Scenes/

Scoring/

/ProjectPlanning.mpp

/ProjectPlanning.xls

/RenderSchedule.xls

The structure also contains standard management files (like the last 3 above) and, there are a few sub-foldes you can’t see (i.e. Audio/ -- Sounds, Dialog, MusicScores). One thing not shown is Cache which holds large files (Renders, tests, etc.) I would not wish to include in the nightly backups or internet transfers to people helping me.

I also have very similar folder/file structures for Models, Sets and Scenes. These live under their associated folders (and also in my central resource pool explained later).

Note that most of the work is done under the Scenes folder where each scene has a standard folder of its own. This above structure was posted on my site and I will try to find the URL if you are interested.

Resource Management

You will find as you go forward that you quickly acquire many models, materials, images, sets, sounds, etc. Many people as well as myself create a resource pool – simply a single place where you keep and organize models, images, materials, sounds, chors, sets and so on. AM has a library function and I use this to front end my resource pool. The AM CD as well as the Extra-CD are examples of resource pools.

Centralized or Distributed (aka Self Containment) Resource Usage

If you have a resource pool you have three choices on how to use it. Each has Pros and Cons.

1. Centralized (in which case you have a ‘Central Resource Pool’

2. Distributed (aka Self Containment – I use this)

3. A little of both

Centralized

Here you pull models, materials, images, etc into the AM project directly from your resource pool. Pros: Saves disk by preventing file duplication. When new resources are created for project the are created in the resource pool. Cons: You must be careful if you customize not to overwrite original files thereby losing them; It is harder to send part of the project to others; It is harder to keep a valid backup over time; If the resource pool is moved, it will affect the projects.

Distributed (aka Self Containment)

Here you copy everything used in a project or a model or a scene to the corresponding folder (each element has everything it needs within its folder, aka it is ‘Self Contained’).

Pros: Project level resource customization is transparent to the resource pool; Projects well as project elements (i.e scenes and models) are complete units easy to transfer to helpers and backups; Projects are independent of the resource pool. Cons: Uses more disk; New resources created in project need to be collected and organized into the resource pool.

File Naming Standards

Do yourself and favor and document and use these. I do not think that what you use matters too much these days; almost all OSs allow spaces, long names, mixed lower and upper case and long extensions. However it will help you if you always know what format filenames are in. Because I established my standard years ago, I use a standard that reflects older file naming restrictions that I mentioned above – I just don’t want to change it now. Mine is:

[000_]ADiscriptiveNameLikeThis[_000].xxx

Where:

[000_] = Optional number to force file sorting order

ADiscriptiveNameLikeThis = Simply a descriptive name with no spaces.

[_000] = Optional file version number for files that change (strongly recommend having this!!)

.XXX = Windows file extension.

That I think is that! Oh, I checked my site and the zip file of my standard folder structure was removed. If anyone is interested I’ll be happy to put it back out there.

Hope this helps,

Rusty

Edit: I see that while I was putting this together, several other people responded. Sorry for any duplication.

Edit2: In the Maps folder (which is all images except 'reference' images which are in reference) are sub-folders to orgainize these. In these folders, where the images live, there is a wip folder which contains the large PS originals. This folder, as well as the Reference, Stills, Screen Tests and other folders that hold large files that are not directly used in the animation project and, that I do not want to backup or send via the internet to helpers -- these are replaced with links to the file wihch is moved to a folder outside the Project folder called Archive. This works well.