Sword

Hookflash

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks interesting. Needs a tad moe work.

I'd suggest removing the specular highlight on the leather wrapped around the pommel of the sword. Also it should be raised up from the pommel of the sword as well. The other option would be to make the pommel be wood or bone, but then you would need to make a definite division between the metal and wood/bone.

The look is nice, but I'm not certain I would want to use a sword where the sharp bits sticking out of the guard were pointing at my hand and wrist. One bad block and they could get imbedded into my forearm.

I'd like to see how this evolves and what the guy (or gal) looks like who wields it.

Good Start,

May I suggest:-

The sword should widen slightly as it gets down to the tang (the bit inside the handle)- the principle use of this type of sword was rather like a long chopper.

Later medieval swords such as the rapier or epee had devices designed to trap and snap your opponents blade, so your guard is accurate- but would have faced the other way for practical fighting, and would only be of use against thin blades. The pomel on a sword helps to counterbalance the weight of the blade, so was often a large heavy lump of metal. Often the grip was made of thin leather wound spiraly round a wooden grip or of fine silver wire which gave better grip when wet and sticky- uch.

sword reference

swords.jpg