Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

I'm Back After An Extended Absence

jester

Hi Hashers,

I'm back after an extended absence from AM and animating. I'm trying to get back into the swing of things having recently bought AM 2006, V13.0.

Partly what brings me back is I am proposing an animation course at the community college I teach at. The other part is I like animation and want to get back to it.

A couple of things I'm trying to find out about are what non-linear editors people like to use, and does anyone have suggestions for classroom assignments for my students?

I'm on a Mac and I used to use Adobe Premier to edit my rendered files but they don't make a Mac version of that anymore so what do people like to use? I did a search to answer this question but wasn't able to find a discussion about it. I'm sure there is one there so if you could point me in the right direction or give me your thoughts I'd appreciate it.

Secondly, I am in the process of proposing the animation class that would begin next January. I have received the course materials that AM offers educators. I'm just wondering if any of you have some other ideas too? Course outline materials? Does anyone know any good resources?

Forgive me if I should be posting these elsewhere in the forum but this is the place they say to re-introduce yourself and start off again. Its been a while since I've used a forum like this so I'm still finding my way around.

Thanks,

jester

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think, on a make, most people use Final Cut for cutting their movies, etc.

*Fuchur*

Thanks for the info Fuchur. How about Final Cut Express? Does it permit non-linear editing in a time-line?

As long as I'm asking does anyone know if After Effects will work? Can you compile frames into an animation and edir everything in a time-line? I can get a great volume price for the classroom on After Effects.

Thanks,

jester

Thanks oakchas, but the lab is strictly Mac. Otherwise we might go the Premier route. For some reason they still make Premier for PC but not Mac. I liked Premier when I used it except for the file size limit that was imposed at the time.

jester

Thanks oakchas, but the lab is strictly Mac. Otherwise we might go the Premier route. For some reason they still make Premier for PC but not Mac. I liked Premier when I used it except for the file size limit that was imposed at the time.

jester

Check out Vegas video from Sony media. There is an inexpensive version and it is very flexable. Student discounts are available.

Check out Vegas video from Sony media. There is an inexpensive version and it is very flexable. Student discounts are available.

Thanks for the tip robertalove. It looks interesting but as I said before my lab is strictly Mac. Unless I'm missing it the system requirements for the Vegas editors by Sony are all PC only. Maybe I missed it? Anyway, so I'm looking for a NLE that works on the MAC platform.

jester

Thanks for the tip robertalove. It looks interesting but as I said before my lab is strictly Mac. Unless I'm missing it the system requirements for the Vegas editors by Sony are all PC only. Maybe I missed it? Anyway, so I'm looking for a NLE that works on the MAC platform.

jester

A free editor from Avid called Avid Free DV is for both Mac and Windows. http://avid.com/freedv. Good intro tuts on the site.

I think, on a make, most people use Final Cut for cutting their movies, etc.

*Fuchur*

Thanks for the info Fuchur. How about Final Cut Express? Does it permit non-linear editing in a time-line?

As long as I'm asking does anyone know if After Effects will work? Can you compile frames into an animation and edir everything in a time-line? I can get a great volume price for the classroom on After Effects.

Thanks,

jester

I teach video editing using Final Cut Express. It will work great for you. There's is not a lot of difference between Express and Pro for the average user. And both are Universal apps now.