sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Five point patch problem

Hey, all--

I'm working through the David Rogers book and I'm making your standard remote control. It is laid out with circle-holes (lathed from a diagonal line, top circle deleted, resulting in a four-point hole) for buttons and a rectangular face around them, with the face comprising five-point patches connecting to the holes' cps.

So, theoretically, especially since it will not be animated with any flexing/bending, having a 0-y-scale mesh, even chock full o' five-point meshes, should be crease and wrinkle-free, yes? But at every corner where two or four five-point meshes join, I'm getting a tiny crease.

I've tried various combinations of how to lay out the grids and circles, covering every alternative method I can think of, to the same results.

Also--and this may or may not be related to the above--I've noticed that when delegating five-point patches, some are easy--drag a box around the 5 cps and hit the 5PP button--but some will only get the 5PP button to appear if you select each cp one-at-a-time, and in a specific order. Is this just a quirk to which I should adapt, or does it indicate that I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

But at every corner where two or four five-point meshes join, I'm getting a tiny crease.

I've tried various combinations of how to lay out the grids and circles, covering every alternative method I can think of, to the same results.

Please ... post wireframe .. then we can see the problem

but some will only get the 5PP button to appear if you select each cp one-at-a-time, and in a specific order. Is this just a quirk to which I should adapt, or does it indicate that I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks!

this happens with me constantly.... after selecting the 5 points, you should type H ( to hide all others cp's ) then drag a box and hit 5cp tool button ... after hit H again

But at every corner where two or four five-point meshes join, I'm getting a tiny crease.
Check the the 5PP and surrounding patches all have their normals pointing in the same direction. This doesn't always fix thngs, but it sometimes helps.
drag a box around the 5 cps and hit the 5PP button--but some will only get the 5PP button to appear if you select each cp one-at-a-time, and in a specific order.
I've had that. It might just be coincidence, but I reckon I get better success at getting the 5PP button to light up if I hide as many of the surrounding CPs as I can beforehand.

Fixed--

1. I had misread (I tend to get ahead of myself) the process in the book. The holes were supposed to be 3-d tubes. I had deleted a ring to get 2-d holes. Don't know if that changed things, but it's working better.

2. I checked normals--I made sure the tube/hole normals were pointing inwards, towards the hole, rather than outwards, and flipped when necessary. I think this was the cause of the creasing.

3. After this, all the 5PPs fell right into place except for the last one, which I ended up having to do some serious spline surgery on a few times before it would work. AND hiding CPs did help for those hard-to-reach areas.

Basically, all appears to be well. For now.

Thanks for the help!