Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Exercise #6 - Random Thoughts

thumperness

Exercise #6 is going to be a large learning curve for me because not every step is spelled out (which is good) and I'm taking some liberties by adding my own touches to it. The oportunities for learning started when I couldn't figure out how to save the project w/ the model with out A:M squawking that it could not save the model back to the CD. Got that question answered and banged head 1st into the next issue.

I knew there had to be a way to add a keyframe for a single bone with out keyframing everything on that frame. Every time I have tried to learn this software I always get jammed up about those buttons at the bottom left of the screen. (Forgive me when I use the wrong terms, I'm not looking at A:M right now) Part of those buttons have to do with setting keyframes for individual bones, as well as chains?.?. I guess I'll learn about all these later. I figured out though how to add the single keyframes I wanted. It's a very slow process, but this is how I learn this stuff. I says to myself, "I know there's a way to do this. I've read about it on the forums..." Then I go about seeing if I can find out how.

I'm finding that timing is a huge part of this whole process. I guess it's just alot of trial and error. I'm very interested in hearing/reading comments from you guys about stuff. I can look and stuff I do and know that 'something' is not right with it. It's great to have you guys explain exactly what the issue is and how to fix it.

B)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how to save the project w/ the model with out A:M squawking

i just didn't listen to A.M. when it squawked about that ....the project was saved no problem ( i think it squawked if you turned on/off stuff in the pose window)

just my 2cp

and oh yeah about the timeline part ...

i was trying to model stuff for about a year ( trying to avoid the timeline )

i think it's the largest hurdle for newcomers.

i'm in the bootcamp right now wrestling with the timeline ...oh the curves ( save me :blink: )

good luck on the Doorstuck and have fun with it ....( oh yeah and getting use to spreading out the action so it all didn't happen in 1 sec. was a new experence hehe )

Good luck and happy door jamming

Steve

i was trying to model stuff for about a year ( trying to avoid the timeline )

I think by your tone you've since changed your mind (at least I hope so).

Rules to remember: The timeline is my friend

I too avoided the timeline but after seeing Jeff Lew's CD, you really can't make really good animations without it.

The timeline allows you to completely control every part of your animation.

I use to have what I'd think is a common problem for beginners of starting a forward animation (animating straight forward without worrying about overall scene timing) with say animating the the arms and hands (the door is stuck comes to mind) for about 60 frames. Then on say the 60th frame, I wanted to add a leg movement. Once I added any extra movement, my animation would not be doing what I wanted anymore.

the legs were slowly moving at the same time my hand animation was playing out and it looked rediculious.

This was so frustrating and I actually quit using AM for quite a few months until the desire to animate hit me again and that's when I learned what I was doing wrong.

learning about the timeline features basically showed me what was happening and now I can do straight forward animating with no problem.

Jeetman