Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Trouble with Decals

teh1ghool

I'm having trouble applying my decal for a UV Map . I've flattened the group in an action window and i am now trying to APPLY my image as a DECAL (like the tut says) but the apply button is blanked out, and it says i can't drag it into the screen. Help would e greatly appreciated.

Oh wait nevermind, I had entered the decail in the wrong object! Problem solved. :)

Oh man nevermind to that too. How do I get into the UV Editor(Decal View) so that the image shows flattened patch? I mean I can apply the decal then stop positioning, but then how do I see it in the Decal View?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So it sounds like, while you have made a decal, it has not been APPLIED to the model. Under the decal name it will show a STAMP if it has been applied.

If not. Open your action and double-click the decal name in the PWS. The decal should appear in the action window. Positon it, then right-click and choose APPLY from the context menu.

I think it's because you're trying to apply the map inside an action. Do it in the model window. There's something screwy with the decal now. Just delete it and drag in the image onto the model again....in the model window.

On another note, the base of your ship has waaaay to many splines. It won't effect the decal though. Just efficiency and animation if you want to deform it.

Ah yeah, I'm not gonig to be deforming it. It's a rock-solid ship. :D Thanks for teh suggestion.

Oh ok I didn't know the UV Map didn't work in the action window. According to the Zandoria tutorial it does work in the action, and it is done in the action.

Zandoriastudios: What's with that?

nevermind about that too. I tried to apply it ni the model window and it had the same effect.

A:M 12.0s

Your prj doesn't come with the image file so I used a different image for your decal/stamp. When I did "recall view/position" it showed that your decal was not applied on the model but off outside the model. To apply a decal you must position and move the decal physically onto your model surface on the screen (like applying a sticker). Decals worked fine in my action window too (AM 10.5).

You want to do your decalling in an ACTION or POSE. Don't be using the FLATTEN feature in the modeling window!!!

OK, I tried it again and it's possible to decal in the window now. I was having problem with it before. Obviously if you're flattening the model teh1ghool, you shouldn't do it in the model window.

However, for the moment, if you drag an image into the action window, it only makes a rotoscope. You have to first drag it into the model window, select decal and then you can position it in the action window.

I just right-click the modelname in the PWS and choose New>Decal from the context menu. That prompts you for the image. Then the decal appears in the window to be stamped.

We could make a feature request for Decal to be an option when dragging an image into an action or pose window. I have just been used to doing it by right-clicking, so didn't realize that would cause confusion.