sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

applying textures and decals

smbaker

Hello,

I've been using Master for a while, but there's one thing that I still find tedious, and that's texturing my models, which probably means that I'm somehow doing it the wrong way.

Here's an example -- I'm creating a piece of lumber, a 2x6 board 8 feet long. I want to texture all six sides of it with a wood texture. For simplicity's sake, I want to apply the same wood texture to each side.

There are several ways that I know to do this. One is to select the whole model, and then drag&drop a texture onto it. This "stretches" the texture to fit the model. The 8 ft long side of the 2x6 gets a long skinny version that's all stretched out, and the narrow end of the 2x6 gets a texture that's all squished up. That isn't what I wanted.

The second way is to apply the texture as a decal. There are three methods: planar, cylindrical, and spherical. I don't think cylindrical or spherical are what I want because I end up with this weird swirly-looking texture on the ends.

Now, a planar application -- this does what I want. I stretch the decal out so it's the length of the board, and then I apply it in turn to each of the six faces of the 2x6. The problem is, it's a bit labor-intensive. I have to re-zoom each of the six views to the same zoom-level (is there any way to zoom all six views at once?), and then I have to go through each view and apply the decal for each of them.

What I wish I had was a "planar" application that would apply the decal to all faces of a model.

Is there anyway to do what I'm looking for?

A second unrelated question -- if I apply a decal that has "black" pixels in it (RGB = 0,0,0), then they get rendered as transparent. Is there anyway to turn the transparency off?

Thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A second unrelated question -- if I apply a decal that has "black" pixels in it (RGB = 0,0,0), then they get rendered as transparent. Is there anyway to turn the transparency off?
Getting the easy question out of the way first... There's a setting associated with each image (in the PWS's Image folder) called "Key Color". Right-click on that and select "Not Set". (Or select any other colour you would prefer to be transparent.) Images with alpha channels don't get this option as the alpha channel controls transparency.

Hello,

I've been using Master for a while, but there's one thing that I still find tedious, and that's texturing my models, which probably means that I'm somehow doing it the wrong way.

Here's an example -- I'm creating a piece of lumber, a 2x6 board 8 feet long. I want to texture all six sides of it with a wood texture. For simplicity's sake, I want to apply the same wood texture to each side.

There are several ways that I know to do this. One is to select the whole model, and then drag&drop a texture onto it. This "stretches" the texture to fit the model. The 8 ft long side of the 2x6 gets a long skinny version that's all stretched out, and the narrow end of the 2x6 gets a texture that's all squished up. That isn't what I wanted.

The second way is to apply the texture as a decal. There are three methods: planar, cylindrical, and spherical. I don't think cylindrical or spherical are what I want because I end up with this weird swirly-looking texture on the ends.

Now, a planar application -- this does what I want. I stretch the decal out so it's the length of the board, and then I apply it in turn to each of the six faces of the 2x6. The problem is, it's a bit labor-intensive. I have to re-zoom each of the six views to the same zoom-level (is there any way to zoom all six views at once?), and then I have to go through each view and apply the decal for each of them.

What I wish I had was a "planar" application that would apply the decal to all faces of a model.

Is there anyway to do what I'm looking for?

Thanks!

Hello, :)

As far as I know there is not a way to zoom all views at once, for now the easiest method is; Decide on wich zoomlevel you will be working on, then click on the bottom-right of your screen and copy the zoomlevel, go to a different view, click on the bottom-right of the screen and paste the zoomlevel in the appropriate inputfield, I have to do a 'screen-refresh' [CTRL-SPACE] afterwards.

Niels.

ps. I am not at a computer right now, were I have A:M, so please ask again to demistify things.

ps2. I use v13a8, so maybe the screen-refresh is not needed with v12 or lower versions.

ps3. You can select per side, right-click and choose 'Add Image' and rotate it afterwards, but using only 1 image gave me unwanted results.