sprockets Hans Donuts Featured USS Midnight spotlight Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Weird goings on with my particle emitter

I am experiencing unexpected results from my fire emitter. It appears as if their is a force in the "Z" direction, when in fact their is none defined in the chor.

Below are views of what is happening. As you can see, the flames don't just float up, the also float towards the +z direction as well.

I include my project file. Can anybody explain to me what is going on and how to fix it? I can't figure it out.

I am using v12.0s for Windows with this one.

In the project, Chor1 has a force in it, a cyclinder shape, but it shouldn't be affecting anything on the troll.

Chor2 is a copy of chor1, without the force in it. Problems occur in both chors. Screenshots are from chor with NO force objects.

post-6871-1139516841_thumb.jpg

post-6871-1139516853_thumb.jpg

Fireball.zip

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Once you hit the space bar to refresh, it looks as it should.

Edit: I take that back. There's still some freakiness going on.

Edit again: I have for sure found the culprit. The streak emitter misbehaves when it is on 5 point patches ( I didn't check 3 point patches). I won't go through the process of how I found out but I may need to take up tennis or some other activity where I get out more.

Edit again: I have for sure found the culprit. The streak emitter misbehaves when it is on 5 point patches ( I didn't check 3 point patches). I won't go through the process of how I found out but I may need to take up tennis or some other activity where I get out more.

Is this a bug? Should I report it? :unsure:

Is this a bug? Should I report it? :unsure:

arkaos.

I usually create a separate model for the emitter, usually a transparent object close in shape to what I want to have emition. Then I constrain the emitter to the model and turn it on in the chor when I need it.

that way you don't worry about 5 pointers etc, and keeps it pretty simple.

Hope this helps.

David

That's an excellent solution, David. I was hopefully trying to avoid that, because I wanted the flames to move with his flailing arms. The purpose of this project is to research effects for making a fireball spell and having the poor unfortunate victim catch fire. For now, I guess a separate model is do-able. Maybe I'll mock up a simple proxy from the troll and apply the same action to it so it mimicks the troll we see.

Thanks again :).

That's an excellent solution, David. I was hopefully trying to avoid that, because I wanted the flames to move with his flailing arms. The purpose of this project is to research effects for making a fireball spell and having the poor unfortunate victim catch fire. For now, I guess a separate model is do-able. Maybe I'll mock up a simple proxy from the troll and apply the same action to it so it mimicks the troll we see.

Thanks again :).

What if you made "mitts" to go around his hands and fore-arms?

I think you'll need to do something like this regardless, as I had very limited success with using modeled/grouped areas of the model as emitters. It usually creates unexpected results, where as using a separate emitter always seems to work.

Good luck on your project.

David