sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Lining Up Color and Bump Decals....

Laconic

Hi!

I'm currently learning about Decals.

I noticed that when used as a decal, any particular image can only have one property (i.e. Color, Bump, Displacement, etc.)

Let's say that I have a color image and I made the same version of it in grayscale, to render the exact decal as a bump, as well.

Are there any tips on how I can position the color and bump images exactly on top of each other?

It does not appear that a decal can be moved once it is applied, so I'd need to know how to apply two with certainty that they would overlay each other as if they were one image.

Thanks,

Tim

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi!

I'm currently learning about Decals.

I noticed that when used as a decal, any particular image can only have one property (i.e. Color, Bump, Displacement, etc.)

Let's say that I have a color image and I made the same version of it in grayscale, to render the exact decal as a bump, as well.

Are there any tips on how I can position the color and bump images exactly on top of each other?

It does not appear that a decal can be moved once it is applied, so I'd need to know how to apply two with certainty that they would overlay each other as if they were one image.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim,

Import the bump image into the project.

Select the decal in the model folder (in Project work space), there should be plus signs you can drill down to the images used.

Under the decal there will be "images" right click and add image, select the bump map you just imported and it will palce it right on top of the exising decal. You'll need to change the latest image to a bump map then make sure the number of repeats are the same.

Remember... bump maps only show up when you render.

David

I can remember loooong ago when I was just learning AM...

I had the exact same question... for a while, I too was trying to "line up" multiple decals... I had more hair back then too.

Yes... one image can have one attribute assignment in a decal but you can load as many images into one decal as you like as Mr. Davis has explained, drag and drop... or the "Add Image" right-click thingy.

Many of my current projects have maps assigned to almost EVERYTHING in that darn list in one decal!

;)

Uh... things get complicated later when you assign a decal to control a hair emitter... then you CAN assign more than one attribute to an image... save that one for later.

;)

Vernon "!" Zehr