sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

texturing practice

hey guys havent been around lately been busy with work and stuff and also been stuck with a few thing on A:M

back when i made the lego guy i was having real touble trying to texture him and couldnt figure out why it wasnt working the way i wanted

all i was trying to do was put a shirt onto his chest and it just had to stick to the front

but when i got texture on there a white background came along with it and it went all over his front

so for a month now been trying to figure out diffrent ways to texture

i though it would be a good idea to see what you guys think of my progress before i try to texture the lego guy again

first i tried something simple a rock with landscape and sky

was trying to get the best looking texture with the least modeling

this is what i ended up with

[attachmentid=13280]

took about 5 mins to render its all textures got bumpmaps colormaps specmaps (intesity and size)

sky dome with 1 bulb light

i will be adding more to the scene whe i get a chance

after i perfected this technique ill go back to lego guy

rock0.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what type of look you are going for, but here are my amateur observations.

1) The rock is excellent, it lloks like a real rock. The only thing that might make it better would be a rim light to make it stand out slightly from the background, but that is not texturing.

2) Maybe a little bit more specular on the rock, amybe not.

3) The grass looks tiled. It clearly is not grasslike, looks more like it was planted as a crop in nice neat rows. I'm guessing hair grasss would enable you to get the more natural looking variation.

4) The mushroom looks plastic and therefore out of place next to your very realistic looking rock. I think something less shiny would work better.

Beautiful rock!

Scott

ok cool thx ill see if i can fix the second picture

but what about the first one with just the land and the rock

Two comments on that one. The ground looks like it needs a higher res texture. The rock is extremely well detailed and the ground looks like it is blurry due to lack of resolution. Is the ground texture tiled or is it one texture scaled up to cover the whole ground. The other thing is that the top of the rock seems to not stand out from the background. That could either be the difference inthe resolutions in the textures or it could be the lighting. Perhaps if you moved the light to the left or right to shift the shadows to one side it would give some separation.

Last comment - the top edge of the rock is perfectly smooth showing that the texture on the rock is a bump map. Probably not worth doing it with displacement map, but maybe the v13 pixel displacement would be a good application. There is a thread about that in the showcase section.

Still love that texture job on the rock.

Scott

ok i got v13aipha installed so ill give that a try and see what turns out from that

i scraped the grass and the mushroom since it just messed up the scene too much

this time around going to try a light rig to give it better lighting

I think the first rock was best m8, the one using the displacement in AM 13 looks like it has had an acid rain attack...

I assume that the peeble is textured with a decal and not a shader? When you say that you used a skydome and a single bulb you weren't using Dan Shimmyo's Skylight Rig by any chance where you? I have heard that it works with version 12 - I must give it a go.