Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Nimitz Class Carrier...low poly for FPS

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks a bit angular but very nice, nontheless.

as far as angular, In order to keep polygons LOW for game play, I could not use any beveled edges or curved surfaces for that matter...:)

I need to add the 4th elevator to the other side, but that again will add to the poly count, and I am already at the limit, due to having a detail bridge.

At least the web sites where I got the info 'SAID' it was a Nimitz class.

Here are the diagrams I used from that site to create my rotoscopes.

More to come... your comments are welcome.

[attachmentid=12758][attachmentid=12759]

post-8349-1136018467_thumb.jpg

post-8349-1136018493_thumb.jpg

I guess the most obvious question for me are:

1. What game engine are you making this for? (Battlefield series, or something different?)

2. What is your polygon limit?

3. Why do you have such a detailed bridge?

4. Why does it matter how detailed the bridge is if this is a FPS game? (What's hidden doesn't slow down the game engine.)

5. How much detail do you have in all those antennas? (Could loose some detail there to get your last elevator in.)

Looks good so far. And I think the rotoscopes are pretty good, accurate enough for a game anyway.

Cheers!

I guess the most obvious question for me are:

1. What game engine are you making this for? (Battlefield series, or something different?)

2. What is your polygon limit?

3. Why do you have such a detailed bridge?

4. Why does it matter how detailed the bridge is if this is a FPS game? (What's hidden doesn't slow down the game engine.)

5. How much detail do you have in all those antennas? (Could loose some detail there to get your last elevator in.)

Looks good so far. And I think the rotoscopes are pretty good, accurate enough for a game anyway.

Cheers!

Well, to answer most of those questions...

I am making this for someone else, & I don't remember the game engine he is using, but it will except the file type I am converting it to, .3ds, as well as .obj, using a freeware program called PoseRay.

The polygon limit is no more than 7000 (6000 ideal). There will be jets, other people, and various props (cranes, towing cars, large batteries, ect.) all running at the same time. The player will be able to see detail from the flat top deck, from inside elevator & hangar, and enter a stair well to the bridge, and sit in the capitain's seat, with other crew in thier seats as well. The bridge will not be hidden, but accessable.

The antennas are only 12 control points each which translates to 32 polygons at 4 polys per control point section (8 sections). The neting all the way around the outside edge is only in 2D. I lucked out there.... I wanted to make everything ONE poly per section, but the .3ds conversion comes out weird, with missing pannels. If someone out there knows a better way, I am all ears.

[attachmentid=12767]

[attachmentid=12768]

[attachmentid=12769]

post-8349-1136052958_thumb.jpg

post-8349-1136052993_thumb.jpg

post-8349-1136053063_thumb.jpg

If it's for a game, can't the bridge detail be a second model. I would assume it would be a 'level'of it's own and would free up patch count for the model itself.

For the problem of being able to see the bridge from outside, could you just decal it to get the detail since there will be no interaction unless you actually enter.

Just curious, I think it looks great.

Wade

If it's for a game, can't the bridge detail be a second model. I would assume it would be a 'level'of it's own and would free up patch count for the model itself.

For the problem of being able to see the bridge from outside, could you just decal it to get the detail since there will be no interaction unless you actually enter.

Just curious, I think it looks great.

Wade

You should'nt be able to see the bridge from the deck level (outside)... however,

being it's one of those games where you are doing some heavy fighting ON the carrier (terrorists have tried to capture the carrier and are ON IT!) the game play is to be continuous (real time) while on the carrier, no cut scenes, no merge into diferent level while entering door, or getting on the elevators to go into hangers, if that explains it...:)

I also have to make it where you can go up int the crows nest, LOL.:)[attachmentid=12774]

post-8349-1136062758_thumb.jpg

looks pretty good gerald. One thing though, you can have the ship with a hallowed out tower be one model, and the inside of the tower be anohter so that you can set the inside to render when you're a set distance away. Much like an LOD model works. It would increase frame rates and the method is used in every game out there. The geometry is still there to interact with player movements and physics objects, but it's just not rendered.

oh, i havent seen a wire frame... but did you make sure that everything was made with 3-point patches? That's still a major standard in gaming because of texture mapping and matrix algebra patch rendering.

• 3 weeks later...
oh, i havent seen a wire frame... but did you make sure that everything was made with 3-point patches? That's still a major standard in gaming because of texture mapping and matrix algebra patch rendering.

When I converted it to .obj & .3ds I made sure the patches converted to 3 point patches. :)