sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Scene in Progress

This is just a test render for a animation i intend to do in the near future...

this is my first render with radiosity.... and i don't know... i think it's pretty cool. I kind of like how the walls look like cement, or at least they look like cement to me.

I tweaked the cornell box a little-------> changed wall color, deleted the boxes inside, and changed the color that the lights project....in order to fit what i needed, and also added some speakers i made.

For the animation:

the robot has a cd player on the front of him, but i can't figure out how to model the cd tray. so i might just model a simple cd player, like the ones in cars, and just put it on the wall. Not sure what song to use, but so on and so on, the robot shall dance. But have not started that quite yet. I really just wanted to do something in radiosity, and learn more about it...

Thanks Yves for the cornell box :D

Tell me what you think :)

Comments and critiques welcome!

OH! before i forget, render time 17 minutes.

post-5362-1132885397_thumb.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey thats pretty cool. A good way to start radiosity.

You could actually do the short like that if you really wanted 2, if u made it a lower res...... and if everything was white, cept ur dude, it would make a very cool and artistic point! Nice

Ben

Hey thanks man! I plan to do a short with it. I just got to pick out a song:)

Yeah i will definately have to make it low res if i am going to be animating 2000 or more frames! :)

I planned on originally texturing the speakers, but as you said i like it all kind of white.

i think it's pretty cool. I kind of like how the walls look like cement, or at least they look like cement to me.
This is actually noise. Once you start to have things move inside the model... you will notice that the "concrete" walls will start to move. lol. 17 minutes is pretty awesome, but it's gunna look a little strange becaues the quality of the radiosity is down.

Still I look forward to your video. :)

"This is actually noise. Once you start to have things move inside the model... you will notice that the "concrete" walls will start to move. lol. 17 minutes is pretty awesome, but it's gunna look a little strange becaues the quality of the radiosity is down." -DanCBradbury

How do you get rid of it? Cause i don't really know if i want the walls to be moving, or maybe i do :blink:

Any other comments?

Well... with anything in animation, to get it looking better, it normally means longer render times. If you want the realest looking radiosity you're going to have to find out the exact sample area for the space, photon samples shouldnt be higher than 100, and you need to have at least 200 samples and jittering to 20% in the final gathering tab.

All this is going to significantly increase your render times... and it's up to you to decide your quality/time ratio. I still look forward to seeing your robot do the robot. lol. well, at least that would make sense.

"This is actually noise. Once you start to have things move inside the model... you will notice that the "concrete" walls will start to move. lol. 17 minutes is pretty awesome, but it's gunna look a little strange becaues the quality of the radiosity is down." -DanCBradbury
To put stuff in quotes just highlight the text you quoted and then up at the top of the text box there's a button that looks like a word bubble. Just click that and it will put that text in the "fancy" quote thingy-ma-bober. :)

Thanks man!

I would like to keep the render time rather short, so i don't know, i will have to test it out.

I have another question, to rig those speakers so the speaker part thumps with the beat or something on that order, should i bone it, or do a pose slider??

I probally will have him do the robot and other stuff, but still need to get a song, which won't be till next monday. :( But when i do start on the animation i will keep updating.

Haha, i think that was my first time needing to put stuff in quotes :)

You need to qualify this rule. This is not true in all circumstances. So in which circumstances does this rule apply?

Realy? for such a small, room with that little amount of detail he wouldnt need over 100 right? :blink: Final gathering samples and jittering will clean it up so it looks normal. I've never needed it higher than 100. It's scene dependant though i guess. The only model i ever thought i needed to raise it was my industrial hallway... but that was when i was rather new to photon mapping, and i went back and found that the same radiosity look could be achived with a sample area of 100, and it renderd a lot faster. :)

just for the heck of it... i made this comparison shot. ps means photon samples, and sa means sample area. The sample area was calculated using the photon sample calculator, and there is no final gathering.

post-8217-1133222694_thumb.jpg

for such a small, room with that little amount of detail he wouldnt need over 100 right?

Right. You just qualified the rule: "for such a small room". What I mean is statement like "photon samples shouldnt be higher than 100" need to be qualified. Otherwise it just looks like a blanket statement. In this case, since the photon samples allow values up to 500, one would wonder "why 100?"

Final gathering samples and jittering will clean it up so it looks normal.

Usually, yes.

One situation where one would need to increase the photon samples is when a scene produces light leaks: bright spots or bright trails of luminosity when two objects are very close to one another. That happens because several photons are reverberating between the two nearby objects producing an accumulation of photons in those areas. Because there is an accumulation of photons in those areas, the "100 samples" will be reached quite rapidly and within a very small area, much smaller that the specified sampling area.

So to get rid of the light leak, one need to increase the photon samples in such a way that the accumulated photons contributions are sinked into the other photons in the area.

Photon Sample Area and Photon Samples work together but the first met condition will stop the sampling. So even if you specified a large sampling area, if the number of samples is met before the sampling area is fully sampled, the sampling process will stop there.

I've never needed it higher than 100. It's scene dependant though i guess.

Yes, it is.

The only model i ever thought i needed to raise it was my industrial hallway... but that was when i was rather new to photon mapping, and i went back and found that the same radiosity look could be achived with a sample area of 100, and it renderd a lot faster.

A good rule is use the smallest photon samples that will produce the acceptable result in the minimum of time.

just for the heck of it... i made this comparison shot. ps means photon samples, and sa means sample area. The sample area was calculated using the photon sample calculator, and there is no final gathering.

The photon sample calculator is a nice helpfull tool. But still just a tool. It will only give you a very good starting point. Most of the time the starting point is good enough. But in some situation, one may need to find more optimal settings based on issues that may arise while rendering.

The photon sample calculator is a nice helpfull tool. But still just a tool. It will only give you a very good starting point. Most of the time the starting point is good enough. But in some situation, one may need to find more optimal settings based on issues that may arise while rendering.

So basically your showing that Dan's comparison is displaying the flaws of the sample area calculator more than photon samples. By the way. The last one remindes me of the Monte Carlo style radiosity. Though it was obtained far faster.

they could all dance to the doom song!!! doom doom -do-doom doom doom doom doommydoomydoomy...

My thoughts entierly. Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who. Just DANCE!

db-dancing.gifdancing.gifwhite-hat-dancing.gifdancing.gifbush-dancing.gif