Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Starfox!

Way back when I picked up a SNES controller and beat the crap out of Andross and his minions to save the galaxy.

The music was rocking, the shoot-em up was excellent, and the original game is still fun for me to play even to this day.

So once I got my footing in Animation Master, I knew I just HAD to recreate the Arwings in full 3DCG glory.

Each piece of the image was rendered separately and merged together in photoshop later.

The final output is below.

The only thing I can think of to make the models better is to figure out a way to get a light source to produce a lense flare while inside a polygon form to create an actual light, and not just a bump with a light source floating above it.

Reguardless, I like how this image looks.

If I update the model I'll make a new image to show it off with. Something with a little more action in it.

I hope you enjoy it.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you both. The ships I did take about 2 weeks to create, so I'm glad that they turned out so well.

As for the stars, it's a basic photoshop noise filter with a few fixes to make it look more like stars... Agreed that they look rather boring. :P

And the planet was a pain just to get looking like that... the clouds alone would not co-operate in any way. Material, or image map. I had to settle for making a cookie cutter sphere using a photoshop clouds filter, and bump mapping it at the same time... then bluring them in photoshop...

I have no clue how to make the planet itself look better unfortunatly, but I'm sure I'll learn how to do that in time.

:)

Very nice! I can hear that idiot frog Slippy crying for me to help him now. :D

For the planet, you should try using the 'planet' material. That way the resolution will hold up at any size without getting blurry.

Quick and dirty:

planet.jpg

model

As for the lights, they look good to me. Why do you need to enclose them in geometry?

Ooooo... now that's an awesome looking planet...

That will definatly work for another project. Thanks! :)

The lights on the ships look okay from a distance and at certain angles, but from others and at close up, it's very obvious that the glow is not actually coming from the spots that are set aside for the lights.

Unfortunatly being a very pointy ship you can tell where the flares are coming from, and when they're coming from outside the tips, rather then at the tips where the light has been modeled to be, it just doesn't look real IMHO.

Not to mention that unless one sets the light to dim when behind objects, it can dissapear before the "light source" does.

I've also noticed that the closer the ship comes to the camera, the more obvious the position of the lighting. It doesn't actually get brighter when it's closer to the camera without being told that it should be brighter. But even when it is brighter, and close to the camera, it needs to be *really* bright to look like it's where the source should be. I'd prefer the light looked like it was inside the housing instead of floating above it really.

However I could just be way too obsessed with making it look perfect. XD

But I would like to be able to have that kind of look reguardless.